Help needed to select kit

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Matt_H, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Matt_H

Matt_H

Hi there, newbie just popped in and hoping you can help.

A bit about me... I like good music and a decent system to play it on. I'm not a rich audiophile junky though, however I know my physics and seem to have made the right decisions in the past for my tast and budget.

Unfortunately a friend has heard my various systems in the car and the house and i now wanting to get into the world of hi-fi.

My house system was a Rotel pre and power amp combo driving a set of accoustic energy ae 120s and a paradigm servo 15 sub with a cross over between the amps filtering anything below 100hz away from the AEs.

I've just bought myself a denon avr3806 and the rotels are moving upstairs to the 'computer' room where I get to lock myself away and listen to music :)

Now the hard bit, friend really likes what he has heard and has never been into music before... The main reason for this is that he has hearing difficulties, technically deaf, however the expectation that goes with that statement is he can't hear things. The reality is that he has tinitus (ringing in ears) and is particularly sensitive to high frequencies which can bring on pain if the frequency is right and loud enough... However he's found that the deep bass the paradigm can bring is rather enjoyable.

The second problem is he does not have much money.

I'm lending him a load of my old old kit that I use as a PC amp!(trio integrated amp amongst others) this is so that he can play with it and buy a bit at a time returning my old kit as he goes.

He's looking at ebay at the moment at all sorts of brands, but I really have no idea. I would suggest he go to a high street shop and audition kit but he is somewhat embarassed about his problems and shops (especially hi-fi) would treat him; well differently.

We want to start with speakers as the amp for now will be good enough for his needs... Is there a good as well as cheap set of speakers that is particularly good at loud low frequencies and not too bright at high ends? Mids dont want to be too bright either as if he does turn down the trebble it tends to make even good speakers sound a little tinny. I don't think he wants to spend more than about £100 so this is going to be somewhat difficult..

Is there a sollution? Your help would be most gratefully appreciated.

Matthew

Matt_H, Mar 2, 2006
  2. Matt_H

zanash

That means second hand.....ebay has a lot of 601's...

not my cup of tea but may suit...you'd need good stands too.

zanash, Mar 3, 2006
  3. Matt_H

inteificio

To tone down the treble on most speakers is quite easy. unscrew the tweeter. Now the rest of this advice is gone of memory so be kind if i get mixed up.

There will be a resistor place across the tweeter.
    Increase the value of the resistor and the treble will soften off.

one other option is if you friend knows the specific frequencies get a behringer deq2496 and get this to filter the specific frequencies out automatically.

p.s. I like your choice of Rotel/AE. I have the Rotel RB-991/RC-995 paired with a pair AE309s. The system sounds GREAT, with one flaw, the RB-991 does not work well when using only a few of its 200+w The problem is breaking those few watts with a speaker with a sensitivity in excess of 90db/w/m is quite loud.

oh and if you follow my advice on the deq, please don't bid on the one on ebay at the moment, I am, a couple come up every week, so wait.

inteificio, Mar 3, 2006
Ask a Question