Hi Fi In The Fire Place ?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Levi_501, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Levi_501

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

Moving house next week :D

In our new house there is a fire place, boarded and sealed up.

Assuming I can get enough ventilation around the componets, does anyone fore see any problems ? I was thinking to put components that you do not really need to touch on a regular basis, such as amps.

Anyone else do/thought of this ?

We are moving into a Georgian brick construction house.

Levi_501, Nov 8, 2009
  2. Levi_501

zanash

as long as your not going to get dead pigeons and the like dropping down the chimney...

putting the speaker in the alcoves ? to each side might not really work hought ...

[if thats your intention ]

zanash, Nov 8, 2009
  3. Levi_501

The chimney has been sealed.

Speakers in the alcoves ??? Dare I ask whay not, they are fair big alcoves, width wise, and not terribly deep.

Levi_501, Nov 8, 2009
  4. Levi_501

zanash

if you have deep alcoves [more than a foot] then you will not get a true stereo illusion as each speakers sound has to rattle round the reflective angles before the two sets of signals combine.

As long as the speakers are as far forward and not facing [toed intowards] the right angle of the chimeny brest then things will be mostly ok ...

if your going from a standard box to one with comlex geometaries your likely to get a rather different sound to the one your used too ....its not wrong just different due to the new and more complex room boundaries...

Its hard to predict quite what you might expect ...as I don't know what your new rooms going tobe made up of ...suspended floor lath and plaster ceiling etc ...if the old room had a concrete floor and plasterboard on breese block [like mine] then I'd expect a bigger rounder to booming bass [as compared with the concrete floored room] ..

if you going from suspended floor to suspended floor then things won't seem quite so different !

zanash, Nov 9, 2009
  5. Levi_501

Why is it the more you look into something the more there is !

Thanks Z man. I will give a full report next week !

Levi_501, Nov 9, 2009
  6. Levi_501

la toilette Downright stupid

My old house:
    [​IMG]

I sealed the chimney but built in a little ventilation (2 x vertical plastic waste pipes with protective hats on their tops) as it's generally bad news to entirely seal off a chimney.

Worked for me!

P.S. I also had the speakers in the alcoves either side of the chimney breast without any massive probs; they were not too deep but perhaps a tad more than a foot, but reasonably wide. As Zanash points out though I did get some bass boom from the alcoves and my suspended floor which I don't get at all with my new house - flat wall and flagstones onto earth!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2009
    la toilette, Nov 9, 2009
  7. Levi_501

zanash

nicely done

zanash, Nov 10, 2009
  8. Levi_501

That is the type of thing I was thinking of although prob not the sources as I would want easy access to them.

Levi_501, Nov 10, 2009
  9. Levi_501

la toilette Downright stupid

Yeah the deck in particular was a bit inconvenient in there as there wasn't a lot of room above it, and if we'd stayed there eventually I would have put in on a separate shelf outside of the fireplace. CD was ok though.

la toilette, Nov 10, 2009
Ask a Question