High output mc into mc stage

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dos, May 30, 2008.

1. dos

dos

Hi all,
    Have just purchased a 640p phono stage (cambridge audio) as recommended by soem of you and am playing about with the settings.

I have a dynavector 10x5 (output 2.5 mv) but it appears to be better sounding on the mc setting on the stage (not mm that I guess it is designed for).

After a quickish listen (will wait for the kids to go to bed) it seems to be more dynamic, with better bass.

Is this ok? :confused:

dos, May 30, 2008
  2. dos

kt66

no - stick with MM

or the MC stage is buggered.

Whatever is quietest is the best, should have more dynamic range.

kt66, May 30, 2008
  3. dos

DEWAUDIO

DOS

Doesnt the 640p feature cartridge loading? Play around with loading.

High output MC usually are designed for MM stages.

I would almost now want to suggest a MC cartridge upgrade/replacement.

D

DEWAUDIO, May 30, 2008
  4. dos

dos

Why?
    :confused:

dos, May 30, 2008
  5. dos

lordsummit moderate mod

OK, this is a simplish one. The MM stage is expecting to see about 6.5MV, a normal output MC puts out about 0.5MV. Your cart is in the middle at 2.5MV, but nearer a normal MC.

It also needs a different load resistance to most carts, >1K ohms, most MM stages are 47k ohms, and MC stages 100k Ohms. The MC stage is nearer to what the cart needs. Either set up the Cambridge with the right loading, or find a stage that provides the correct loading.
    Hope that helps

lordsummit, May 30, 2008
  6. dos

DEWAUDIO

You know... get a MC cart that behaves more like a MC and not a wannabee MM... lower output.

Have a look at an Ortofon Salsa. A very fine MC at a fine price.

D

DEWAUDIO, May 30, 2008
  7. dos

nando nando

40 ohms loading if you can
    nando

nando, May 30, 2008
  8. dos

dos

The cambridge is non adjustable, however someone stated somewhere that they had theirs 'adjusted', how would you go about this?

However, the 640p works well but is I guess a compromise? Am I right in thinking that the rotel amp's phonostage would also be a compromise so what I know have is a better performing compromise than I might have had in the rotel??

Confused, moi?

dos, May 31, 2008
  9. dos

nando nando

try it via the m.m. imput, should you need to upgrade the phono stage i can put you intouch with a person i know who can match the imp and make it right,
    nando

nando, May 31, 2008
  10. dos

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

I use the dv20x HO which is 2.8mv and that works fine into the MC section of the 640p with no overload issues at all within the phonostage. Infact it is exactly the same volume level as my 840 cd player into my pre-amp, so well within margins.

there's no need to adjust any loading on the MC stage, it's perfect.

I suggest you do some reading on what cartidge loading is for and what rnage of values are likely to make a change.

sq225917, May 31, 2008
  11. dos

robM

And this is exactly the problem with the 640p when using a 10x5! or any good high output MC....2.5mV is not enough gain for the MM side and a bit too much for the MC side. I had mine (640p) adjusted to 53dB and had the loading modified also to 18Kohms! even then it still wasn't as good as some of the users say.

The problem with the 640p is that you are pretty limited in what you can use properly. Either get a medium/high output 0.6-1mV MC cartridge or buy an really good MM. Either way it means trying to find something to suite an entry level phono stage... is it worth it?

robM, Jun 1, 2008
  12. dos

RobHolt Moderator

To be fair, the MM stage is designed for regular MM cartridges which usually have higher output than high output MCs. It works fine with Goldring, Ortofon, AT, Grado etc which is what the MM stage is designed for.

Also, hight output MCs rarely deliver the voltage claimed - the manufacturers over-egg the literature a little.

RobHolt, Jun 1, 2008
Ask a Question