How does a volume control work ?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by jonboselector, Apr 17, 2004.

1. jonboselector

jonboselector

I was wondering how a volume control works. Does it conduct across the signal path to earth to reduce gain or does it put resistance in the path of the signal to attenuate it ? I just wondered because the volume control on my ageing amp is a bit too sensitive and was thinking of modding it somehow to make it operate more usefully. ie shift the operating range from 3-7 on a scale from 1-10 as opposed to where it is now - all around 2-3 bfore it gets v loud.
    ________
    Brunette girl live

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2011
    jonboselector, Apr 17, 2004
  2. jonboselector

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

yes:MILD:
    the diagram is the most common way of connecting a volume control (potentiometer) its just a potential divider,as for making it the range more usefull you could put another presert pot either before or after the volume control and adjust it until you get the desired volume range your after

themadhippy, Apr 17, 2004
  3. jonboselector

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

All standard volume pots put the signal through a varying resistance. One way to attenuate the signal is to do it in the I/C's before the amp such as Rothwell attenuators.

LiloLee, Apr 17, 2004
  4. jonboselector

BlueMax

BlueMax, Apr 18, 2004
  5. jonboselector

Phill77

I would like to add a switch between the pre and power parts of my amp to make it quieter for listening at night.
    Will it do this if I add a switch and resistor in parallel with the pre output, which goes to ground.

I only want two states and want to be able to control it remotely using a relay, so adding a pot would make this difficult.

Phill77, Apr 18, 2004
  6. jonboselector

jonboselector

Nice diagram Therma - Thanks for that, I probably will do something like that when I get the cover off the amp.
    I'm not sure I would do what Phil suggests though, although I suppose it could work, for what Phil wants.

Another follow on question. Are volume pots usually log or linear? I didn't know what the original in my amp was and replaced it with a log. This has given me exactly the same effect as before so I presume the original was log. The same problem still persists in that gain comes in to quickly and is only useable to 3.
    ________
    Cannabis seeds

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2011
    jonboselector, Apr 18, 2004
  7. jonboselector

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

best option would be something like the diagram below,youll need a 4 pole change over switch or relay,the restor values can be calculted with the help of http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diyattenuation.xls

normally log,as it copys the way the ear works or sumfing

themadhippy, Apr 18, 2004
Ask a Question