How to get Chromecast to play through a surround system?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by kittywonder, Jan 24, 2017.

1. kittywonder

kittywonder

Hi all from a newbie :)

Is there anyone out there who can advise on how to get Chromecast to play through a Philips 5.1 surround system?

Current set up is -

Sky box - via HDMI 1
    Philips Surround player - via AV1
    Chromecast - via HDMI 2

Chromecast currently works only through the tv speakers. After research, I figure an HDMI Audio Extractor may be the solution.

The only optical out on any of my equipment is on the SKY+ box and the only current free port on the Philips player is an HDMI OUT.

Any suggestions as to how to set this up would be most welcome.

Thanks!

kittywonder, Jan 24, 2017
  2. kittywonder

supersiv8

Hi there, nobody helped you so far... So if you haven't found a solution yet, can you tell me:
    Do you have sound coming out of your surround system with TV and other devices connected to your TV?
    What Philips system do you have?
    Exactly how is everything connected? (which cables go into which ports?)

supersiv8, Feb 5, 2017
  3. kittywonder

Jeff Lee

Hi Kittywonder

Is it Chromecast Audio or the TV version? They have different connectors. The audio version comes with the usual RCA/phono plug interconnect so you could use any standard input (e.g. for CD player) on the Philips unit. I can;t comment on other links e.g. optical but if the Philips has that input you could probably use that if you get the right connector.

If it helps - I have a Denon AV3311 5.1. amp but it has four HDMI inputs as well as RCA/phono so I'm lucky in that I can use either, and they do work.

Best of luck.

Jeff

Jeff Lee, Mar 3, 2017
Ask a Question