How to hook up 5.1 to PC

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JonDoh, May 9, 2021.

1. JonDoh

JonDoh

I am moving into a new room. I have the space to set up a 5.1 system but I am having trouble figuring out what components I need and what is compatible with the output from my PC.

I built my PC a few years ago. It does not have a dedicated sound card but the MB does have an SPDIF port. The motherboard of the PC is Asus Prime x370-pro. The SPDIF port is on the motherboard.

Can someone help me figure out what components I need to get a 5.1 system running? I would like it to sound comparable to my mid-range headphones. I am not shooting for top of the line stuff but somewhere from mid range to the 80% solution.

I am looking at something like the Klipsch Reference Theater pack, but I don't know if I need an amp and/or receiver in between my PC and the speakers.

I am really a full noob when it comes to audio so any info is appreciated.

JonDoh, May 9, 2021
  2. JonDoh

Sergeauckland

You will need a 5.1 channel receiver that will take the USB output of the PC and provide 5 outputs to the loudspeakers, which will need go wired to the receiver output, and the 0.1 subwoofer output which is connected wirelessly to the sub itself.

If not a full receiver, at the very least you'll need a 6 channel USB sound card and a 5 channel amplifier. The sub has it's own amplification.

Depending on where you're located, you need to find a local dealer to advise on specific models.

S

Sergeauckland, May 9, 2021
Ask a Question