how to wire xlr plugs

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by taz, Apr 10, 2011.

1. taz

taz

balanced interconects xlr to xlr
    can someone show me how to wire a balanced cable using xlr plugs please ? do I need two core with sheild cable ? I wanted to use Van Damme cable so do I need the microphone cable or instrument cable please ? I need to know which pin is which etc
    thank you

taz, Apr 10, 2011
  2. taz

cooky1257

3. taz

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Apr 10, 2011
  4. taz

taz

perfect thank you

taz, Apr 11, 2011
  5. taz

zanash

xlr to xlr are easy ...just connect each pin to the same pin on the other plug .....

it becomes more complicated if your converting xlr to rca or the reverse ...then you need to know what ground and which is l or r

zanash, Apr 15, 2011
  6. taz

Pete The Cat

Another XLR Query

I'm in need of an XLR guru for a query about unbalanced use.

It seems that Exposure believed that the connection itself is superior to RCA phono plugs so gave the option of both on the XVII and Super XVIII among others, although the amps themselves aren't designed for balanced use.

I've read that most XLR configuration is pin 1 earth, 2 positive, 3 negative and for unbalanced 1 is shorted to 3. However there are web forum comments about old Exposure and some other manufacturers using 2 as negative and 3 as positive. Yet on the power amp itself it says (by the right input) "1 GND, 2 Right, 3 N/C" and (by the left input) "1 GND, 2 Left, 3 N/C".

Can anyone tell me precisely which of the positive and negative go where for unbalanced use in this scenario with this amp ? :confused:

Pete

Pete The Cat, Apr 25, 2011
  7. taz

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

That amp isnt balanced,pin 1 is ground,pin 2 signal,pin 3 unusesd,to connect to balanced equipment i'd connect pin 1 to 3 in the cable,and make sure the cables i'ded ,if it gets mixed up with a bunch of other properly wired xlrs i wouldnt be happy.

themadhippy, Apr 25, 2011
Ask a Question