I Am Legend

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MO!, Jul 17, 2008.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Watched this the other night and enjoyed it a lot!

I'd expected a bit more of a Will Smith saves the world (again), sci-fi/action adventure. But it's actually quite an edgy and jumpy film that genuinely had my heart rate changing throughout.

Well worth a watch. Could have been longer though.

MO!, Jul 17, 2008
  2. MO!

Telkman Nurturing Malevolence

It tailed off a bit towards the end, but it's a very watchable film - all the critics were going on about how it's just Will Smith indulging himself for two hours, which hardly seemed the case to me?

Telkman, Jul 17, 2008
  3. MO!

lbr monkey boy

I thought is was brilliant. A really good take on man-alone-in-world-gone-tits-up psychology and a definite step up from the normal Independence Day dross.

lbr, Jul 17, 2008
  4. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I thought it was really well done. But agree about it tailing off a bit. Tension was built up just right for the jumpy bits and I found myself doing just that.... jumping in places!

I liked Independence Day, and expected something similar in terms of action and adventure. This was closer to 28 days later though!

MO!, Jul 17, 2008
  5. MO!

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

try watching the original version - very 70's and I actually preferred it! Both good fun.

lAmBoY, Jul 18, 2008
  6. MO!

Dev Moderator

I liked it, except perhaps the ending.

It reminded me of The Time Machine. The common theme being the human race splitting int0 2 different species (for different reasons).

Dev, Jul 18, 2008
  7. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I felt it could have done with another 20 min's or so to fill a few things out.

When the zombie dude goes into the light after his girlie was caught Smith later mentioned it in his diary thing saying they've now no connection with humans. I took it to be more that there was still some humanity in them and he (zombie dude) was willing to ignore the danger of light to save her (zombie dudette)...

The bit with the dog was very well done too. No need to show it, just Smiths face :(

Less than 3 hours sleep last night, and a chaotic day at work. Was going to put on some tunes and have a nap.... think I may put I am Legend back on :)

MO!, Jul 18, 2008
  8. MO!

Dev Moderator

Yes, agreed, that was done well.

Dev, Jul 18, 2008
  9. MO!

muchojackdaniel

I dont care about the book its based on. This movie was a great movie experience. Entertaining and exciting

muchojackdaniel, Jul 21, 2008
  10. MO!

FrankDeckard

If you live in NYC, it was quite creepy to watch it.

Either the Blu-ray or HD-DVD are worth getting.

Scared the crap out of my wife for some reason.

FrankDeckard, Jul 21, 2008
  11. MO!

Markus S Trade

Frank, are you paticularly fond of low frequencies or do you actally have speakers and I have missed them in your signature?

Markus S, Jul 21, 2008
  12. MO!

FrankDeckard

Markus,

LOL.

I am in the process of buying new speakers and a new integrated right now.

Most likely LV IBX-R2s with an Art Audio Argento.

I do like it low, now that you asked.

FrankDeckard, Jul 21, 2008
  13. MO!

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Hands off the Omega Man! Charlton Heston plays the charismatic lead - I rest my case. The original is superb.

It gets worse though...
    Keanu Reeves has done The Day The Earth Stood Still - and sadly he's not even playing the silent robot. What the hell is Hollywood doing to all these classics?

SMEagol, Jul 21, 2008
  14. MO!

D Louth 77

Hi Guys

SMEago the movie industry has run out of ideas. I was horrified to hear of the remake of day the earth stood still. The original is one of the finest 50's sci-fi movies . Michael Rennie is brilliant and for its time the special effects are quite good. I can't see this being up to much but maybe a re-make can be better. The 1978 version of Invasion of the body snatchers is better than the 1950's original IMHO.

Talking about the I am Legend movie I saw the very first movie a few months ago on Sky on i think it was open access . Vincent price stars and while it was interesting it really isn't a good film,The Omega Man is far better and in some ways better than the Will Smith version. I think for me the big weakness in this remake is the creature effects are to CGI looking a lot of the time
    ;just to obviously computer generated. So far no one has mentioned the slightly longer version which is part of the two box dvd set.It has a better ending(i will say nothing ,i don't want to ruin it for those who have not seen it).

Does anyone want to suggest a re-make that is better than the original ?

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Jul 25, 2008
  15. MO!

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Dracula with Gary Oldman and some surfer (sorry actor)...

SMEagol, Jul 25, 2008
  16. MO!

lbr monkey boy

Lord of the rings. Much better than that half baked cartoon affair!

lbr, Jul 25, 2008
  17. MO!

FrankDeckard

D Louth,

I am fairly certain that the Ten Commandments were made more than once and the second version with Chuck, Anne, Yul, and Edward G. was far superior.

FrankDeckard, Jul 25, 2008
  18. MO!

D Louth 77

Hi Guys

I did like Gary Oldman(very good actor) in Dracula ,i thought it was an excellent film but Jonathan Harker (Mr Reeves) was poor. His awful English accent ruined the movie when he was on scene ( I do think hes very good in the Matrix but thats about it).

Yes Lord of the Rings is better than Ralph Baski's animation but that might be due to him not being able to finish it ;only about third of the story was done.I quite liked it when i saw it in the cinema years ago when it first came out but it doesn't stand up compared to Jacksons trilogy. However his King Gong is awful compared to the black and white original. Great effects but way to long and i think Jack Black was poor in it. This Classic should have been left alone ,but it was better than the two 70's King Gong movies.

I have yet to get round to watching the Cecil b Demille first version of the Ten Commandments (included in a double DVD with the later colour/talkie version). So i can't really say which is better until i do watch it .However i must say that i do love this film a lot. When i was a young kid i enjoyed all of these Biblical Epics and i still do . The Greatest Story ever Told being a favorite .Max Von Sydnow is brilliant in it (very good actor).

When Gladiator came along it sort of brought back memories of all the epic films i used to watch on sat/sundays when i was very young . In fact it is almost a remake of a film called The Rise And Fall Of The Roman Empire. Gladiator's story follows the plot of this film in many parts however Ridley Scott's version is better.

Epic movies that i like a lot include ,El Cid,300 Spartans .Animated version better except for the huge Historical errors taken and grossly in accurate costumes for Spartans Persians etc and why monsters as well .For 1300 men to stand against the biggest invading army (up till that time),is that not a good enough threat.
    Why must the movie making machine take such liberties? The poor old Thesbians hardly get a mention unlike in the Richard Egan movie .And what about the massive sea battle the Athenians waged against the Persians at the same time. Without that the land battle would have been lost sooner as the Persians hoped to out flank the Greeks ,by landing troops behind the pass .The Athenians won the sea battle ,fought over two days and against greater forces(they did get a bit of help from a storm). It was the Admiral who commanded the sea battle that planned the whole battle and not the Spartan King Leonindas but that does not take away from what the 300 did at the end of the battle.I had hoped a lot for 300 and i was disappointed with it. Back on topic now(i hate gross Historical errors in movies), Glory,Ben Hur , Ran and Kagamushi,Hero,to name a few more historical epics that i like a lot.

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Jul 26, 2008
  19. MO!

spica

Was flicking around the sat's just recently and while on Thor (0.8west) saw that Digi film was showing.... Legend (in english),i had already seen the film some time ago but it was at the point the hero flipped out and went ballistic on the vamps with his 4x4 at the quayside...so thought i would see it to the end, and glad i did, the romanians had used the alternative ending where he opens the glass door (in the lab) and returns the guinea pig lady to the head vamp, injecting her so to return her to her savage state in the process.
    The vamps wander off and hero,mexi lady and kid leave town at sundown, think i preferred this ending but funny how the "hero lived" scenario was given to the east when the west saw it differently... .

spica, Sep 8, 2008
  20. MO!

RDD Longterm Lurker

The part with the dog was pretty harsh but didn't get to me as much as the bit in the shop when he was talking to the mannequin... "please talk to me" :cry:

RDD, Sep 10, 2008
Ask a Question