I feel so extraordinary London's got a hold on me

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, May 2, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

As a bit of pure luck I know I will have finished university for the download festival in June which New Order playing. I've just booked the tickets now, its in Hyde Park, I know this part of London fairly well.

However there is a problem, I don't have much money, and any hotels in that part of London will be full or be really expensive, I was thinking just go some where further out in London, but the problem with this is won't 20,000 people be doing the same thing?

What will be the best way of getting out of that part of London?

I'm really looking forward to going as I have not yet seen New Order perform as a band, I have met the band members, seen individual members perform but never actually seen New Order. The Bravery are also playing to that will be the third time I have seen them this year.

I am not too bothered where we stay but will transport be an issue? In Dublin we just walked to the hotel but Dublin is much smaller, at the Move festival I can just walk home.

London is 2 hours away by train and it won't really be practical to go back on the same day as it will be gone midnight so we do need to stay over.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm quite excited now.

amazingtrade, May 2, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

Paul Ranson

Sleep on a bench at the station.

Paul

Paul Ranson, May 2, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

I may end up doing that, but due to having a weak bladder I won't be getting drunk, there is nothing worse than needing the pee while you're favourite band is playing.

I know where I won't be staying anyway after my experience in 2003.

4. amazingtrade

The Devil IHTFP

Paul's right. You could always moan about it afterwards.

The Devil, May 2, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

sideshowbob Trisha

I spent many of my formative years sleeping in railway stations after gigs.

Hyde Park's very big, you could probably find a bush to sleep under.

Cheap accomodation in central London is hard to find, but there are some cheap hotels around Kings Cross. Some of them are of the charging by the hour variety however, and best avoided. None of them are especially salubrious.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, May 2, 2005
  6. amazingtrade

Yeah and you would have another must to be sarcastic in :p (to the devil)

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2005
  7. amazingtrade

I would be happy to stay out of central London but I think transport could be a problem, I know its always hell after the Move Festival in Manchester and thats much smaller, but I only live 1.5 miles away so I just. London is 200 miles away so its a bit too far to walk. :)

I'll sort somthing out anyway even if it means going to a club and getting an early train back home.

8. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Tell me about it - I caught an infection the day before a free festival in 2003 (the free Limp Jizkit one) and was in the turdises about every 30 minutes - not fun at ALL!

Nice one on your tickets by the way :)

Is there a Travelodge anywhere nearby?

domfjbrown, May 3, 2005
  9. amazingtrade

There is a Travelodge some where fairly close, I was supposed to be staying there when I was supposed to get the tickets to see Morrissey at Earls Court but they sold out so we went ot Dublin instead (which is also a nicer city in my opinion).

The problem is they will be all be fully booked now becuase 10,000 or more people will have the same idea.

amazingtrade, May 3, 2005
  10. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

What about Yoof Hostels or something like that??

domfjbrown, May 3, 2005
  11. amazingtrade

I'll have to look into it, I think I will be able to find some where but not in that part of central London becuase of the festival. It probably won't be a problem, If I hang around for a couple of hours after the gig, try and find an open pub (which will be hard to in that part of London they all shut at 11:00-12:00 as far as I can remmeber) and then get the tube/bus to a different part of London to say.

I'll have a quick search now.

12. amazingtrade

Just had a quick look at it seems there are plenty of hotels in the area still with vacancies so it shouldn't be a problem if I book soon.

13. amazingtrade

The accomodation problem is pretty much sorted, now the next vitial problem, decent clubs and bars within walking distance to hyde park?

The last time I stayed round there, there wasn't much in the way of night life.

14. amazingtrade

sideshowbob Trisha

Night life isn't a problem in London, it is, after all, one of the world's great cities. Hyde Park is in easy walking distance of Soho, for example, where you'll find huge numbers of bars, pubs, clubs, restaurants, and trans-sexuals. Something for all tastes.

My advice would be to wear your best clothes. Londoners are delighted to welcome our provincial friends, provided they make an effort and don't make the place look untidy. Anything polyester or nylon might be confiscated at the border.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, May 3, 2005
  15. amazingtrade

I'll be wearing indie stuff, probably a Joy Division t-shirt, black jeans and black trousers. As I am going to a large music gig it won't practical to go in my best shirt and shoes etc.

The problem with London is finding places, its very big and if you don't the city well its easy not to find the clubs and bars etc. In Manchester, Dublin etc all the bars tend to located in the same place, although Manchester is very spread most the night life is within a 1 mile area.

Hyde park would be in walking distance to Soho although quite a big walk but aren't all the bars round there strip joints? We just want some where not too expensive.

Basicaly the gig is the night out so the clubbig aspect is not important, we just want some to relax before going back to the hotel.

In otherwords I we are not going out to be seen, we are going out becuase its more fun than being stuck in a hotel. So anywhere relaxing with a late licence, not too rough, not too expensive (I understand it will be dearer than Manchester, but £50 would have to last the entire night).

Actually I think I might get a t-shirt made saying Barth but with the R crossed out, do you think that would go down well? ;)

Oh btw my dads from London (Fulham) so I do don't hate London as much as I should :D

16. amazingtrade

julian2002 Muper Soderator

and a big sign saying 'mug me for crack money' if you're wandering 'round late at night. unless there are a few of you.

don;t forget the hankeys so you can blow all that black crud out of your nose periodically.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, May 3, 2005
  17. amazingtrade

sideshowbob Trisha

I've only ever been attacked in the street once, that was oop north. Crime in London is pretty low, there's more violence in Manchester I suspect.

AT, Soho is about a 20 minute walk from Hyde Park. Chinatown's a good place to head for, lots of good cheap restaurants and quite a few pubs too. Try a few of the backstreets rather than the main drag, you'll have more joy finding somewhere that isn't full of tourists.

Alternatively, walk straight down Oxford Street from Hyde Park until you get to Hanway Street on the left hand side (just before the Virgin Meagre Store at the junction with Tottenham Ct Rd). Turn left down Hanway St and the first pub you come to on the left (Bradley's) is an excellent Irish/Spanish pub, where I spent most of the 1980s.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, May 3, 2005
  18. amazingtrade

ok thanks, I wasn't impying that part of London was rough, but like anywhere some bars are rougher than others, its like Manchester, the places I go have no trouble at all, I have walked in the city centre many times at 2:00am-3:00am and never seen any trouble, but then I know where to avoid. As a tourist although I know London more than most mancs I wouldn't know what is a scally club. I suppose no scallies can really afford to live in central london though so its not a problem.

London however is top of the UK crime league and that is per capita but big cities attract crinimals, Manchester is high on that list too, you just have to know where to avoid, and I know to avoid lambeth at night.

Do most the bars open late as will be at least 12:00 by the time we get to a bar/club.

Finally its funny I don't really think of myself as a tourist in London, I prefer to use the term visitor, as I am only 160 miles away in terms of rail track, and I have family burried in brompton cemetery etc. I suppose I am a tourist though :p

19. amazingtrade

A0S

AT if you want some Indie places try Camden. You can't walk there from Hyde Park (well you can, but I wouldn't late at night) but a tube or bus ride will get you there. The place will be swarming with Indie Kids, Goths, Metal Heads you name it. Just follow your prefered tribe to an appropriate venue.

A0S, May 3, 2005
  20. amazingtrade

That would make sense, I have cousin who lives in Camden, I know he is a massive Morrissey fan.

I'm scared of goths though, they bite. :)

I'll look into that, the most important critieria though is just some where we can get in and that opens late, that won't charge £20 just to get through the doors.

Ask a Question