I need a turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by xf8u39, Sep 9, 2010.

1. xf8u39

xf8u39

I'm currently browsing fleabay for a half decent turntable. I have in mind Thorens TD16x Rega planer 2/3, Dual 505.
    Which of these performs the best, particularly in terms of rumble from bearings.

I have noticed that there are numerous upgrades available for Rega players, ruby bearings, psu upgrades etc.

Are these upgrades available for the other makes too.

Please advise

Mike

xf8u39, Sep 9, 2010
  2. xf8u39

Hamilton

Opinions vary - I'd go for a Thorens as most likely to come out tops on price v. performance if you can get a decent one. Lots of good info here: http://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_dept_.htm on what to look for and endless tweaking options.

Hamilton, Sep 9, 2010
  3. xf8u39

RobHolt Moderator

Agreed, a decent TD160 is likely to top the list given a good arm.

I tend not to tweak TTs too much as most of the audible tweaks tend to push the cost up considerably.

By the time you've taken a humble Rega 3 and added a new mat, isolation feet, uber wiring, special bearings etc you might as well buy a more expensive Rega in the first place. Plus tweaking won't always improve and you can upset what is a carefully chosen balance.

By all means try a few experiments on a deck once you decide that you like the sound, but resist the urge to tranform it out of all recognition.

RobHolt, Sep 9, 2010
  4. xf8u39

vincula

I subscribe each and everyword. Simply sound and wise advice. Almost a prescription for good analogue health, may I say:)

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Sep 9, 2010
  5. xf8u39

UK Duty Paid

Totally agree with the above advice.

You can get a very good to excellent performance from the 160's even with their stock arms. Its important to get the cartridge & stylus suitable to the arm mass & the set up right - once done the rewards are obvious.

UK Duty Paid, Sep 9, 2010
  6. xf8u39

Cable Monkey

Get a TD125 mkII. Can be had for around the same as a good TD160, and is so much better it makes you wonder. It does have more potential pitfalls, but collection and a demonstration of serviceabilty should see you ok. Details on the analogdept website linked to above.

If you did not want a 'bouncer' then a later P3-24 or a Planar 25 should give you the bulk of available performance but would always suggest 1 mod. If you do nothing else replace the plastic subplatter.

Cable Monkey, Sep 9, 2010
  7. xf8u39

xf8u39

Cheers for the advice guys.
    FYI I just got me a TD166 from a local hi fi dealer at a reasonable 80 quid. It could use a new cartridge though.

Any ideas on which magnet/high coil is best suited for this turntable.

Mike

xf8u39, Sep 10, 2010
  8. xf8u39

UK Duty Paid

depends on the arm what is it ?

UK Duty Paid, Sep 10, 2010
  9. xf8u39

ovalmarc ovalmarc

My TD 160 may be for sale.
    It has a new solid plinth and an sme 3009 2 improved arm but no cart.

ovalmarc, Sep 11, 2010
Ask a Question