I suck (at modifying) can u help....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tim F, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Tim F

Tim F

:)

Hey all,

I have a toshiba SD900E as a transport and would really really would like to learn to do some of my own modding. So I guess chucking decent caps in it would be a good starting place. With a modest budget what would you recommend? As a newbie it'd be helpful to know how you got started, this is probably the most difficult part of any learning. I can take digital pics if that helps. To be honest I wouldn't even know where to look for the analog output stages or the digital clock!

Thanks, Tim

P.S.
    I have lots of skills with computers and will be happy to trade a few if that's what you need.

Tim F, Feb 17, 2006
  2. Tim F

Elberoth

Tim,

Of course you can replace the PS caps with Black Gates, eplace the silicon bridges with fast recovery diodes etc.

But IMO, If you intend to use your Tosh as a transport only, you will get the best bang for the buck by inserting the Tent Labs X0-3 clock board (139 EUR). Better still, if you add a separate XO power supply (89 EUR) for X0-3.

X0-3 board not only replaces the players clock, but also has an option of reclocking the SPDIF signal (the digital output).

Elberoth, Feb 18, 2006
  3. Tim F

Anex Thermionic

Yes, reclock first. No point icing the cake if you haven't baked it yet. If you buy Tent, Trichord etc. they usually come with nice specific instructions on how to do it, often for specific models of player. Its not a long job to do and will give you most bang for buck. Though if you get bang you probably did it wrong.

Anex, Feb 18, 2006
  4. Tim F

zanash

look in the articles section ...if thats not enough contact me !

zanash, Feb 18, 2006
  5. Tim F

chris1968

see where you are coming from but Pete (zanash) suggested the diodes etc be done first as the cheapest option - got to say its worked for me - once my wedding is out of the way i'll be looking at getting the beast clocked (see Petes PDS906thread in the DIY section) - given the diodes etc are sorted i'm hoping to see maximum impact from a change of clock

chris1968, Feb 19, 2006
Ask a Question