Idler drive TT question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by la toilette, Jul 28, 2010.

1. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

May have to excuse my ignorance here, but just wondered what it is that makes one idler drive deck superior over another if both run smoothly and are set up with similar plinths arms/cartridges etc.

The reason I ask is that I bought a Lenco to make a project of that (diy service/plinth/arm etc), but almost immediately after I was given an oil bearing Garrard 301 (bonus!).

After a brief clean and lube the Lenco is now running very very quietly, certainly quieter than the 401 I used to use, and is waiting for a plinth and arm. The 301 is in need of quite a bit of tlc and looking at prices of parts from PerfectSound it might cost me a bit to get sorted, though the motor also runs quietly outside of a plinth.

The 301 looks gorgeous even in tatty condition, but I'm attracted to the simplicity of the Lenco.

Dilemmas!

la toilette, Jul 28, 2010
  2. la toilette

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

it's a mechanical thing. the quietest motor unit will win all other things being equal- which they aren't.

sq225917, Jul 28, 2010
  3. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

Ok, not sure what to make of that if all other things aren't equal!

I guess I should just try and sort them both out and then compare them.

la toilette, Jul 28, 2010
Ask a Question