If i cut the rca adaptors off the end of the wire will they still work?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zach4marston, Sep 26, 2018.

1. zach4marston

zach4marston

So i need to connect an amplifier to my speakers, however the input on my speakers is a round rca end, one red one white, but the output on the amp is a traditional screw style to connect the exposed wire. If i cut the end off my rca wire so that it is exposed on one end, would that then work going from the amp to my speakers?

Just wanted clarity before i went cutting wires up.

Thankyou!

zach4marston, Sep 26, 2018
  2. zach4marston

attrition

Of course they'll still work. The RCA connector is sometimes used by manufacturers who are cheap, stupid, or whose amplifier which accompanies the speakers has a high pass filter or other eq enabled. Does the amplifier you are not connecting to have a subwoofer output as well? If so, be careful driving the speakers with the RCA connections with another amplifier with full range signal. If not, then you should be okay as long as the speakers aren't powered with their own internal amplifiers. Do you have to plug the speakers into power as well as connecting the RCA? If so, the RCA is a line level signal, not speaker level. And don't be surprised if after cutting off the RCA connectors and running from a different amp that these speakers sound poor. The factory amplifier most certainly has an EQ curve specific to the speakers.

attrition, Oct 8, 2018
  3. zach4marston

zach4marston

I feel this is going to be a problem for me, as the speakers already have internal amplifiers. I'm now having trouble finding a simple amplifier with RCA outputs that is powerful enough to utilize 140w speakers.

zach4marston, Oct 22, 2018
  4. zach4marston

Sam Vimes

I really think you need to establish exactly what the speakers you have before you risk toasting them by supplying them with an amplified signal. Most active speakers need to be fed line level inputs. The fact that yours have RCA inputs could suggest that being the case for your speakers. I suspect that you may not even require a full amplifier, a pre-amp might be all you need. Throwing a high level input into the speakers own amplifier may well result in you not having active speakers any more.

Sam Vimes, Oct 25, 2018
  5. zach4marston

zach4marston

The speakers are KRK Rokit 6 G3's, the purpose of all of this is so i can run the turntable through the mixer into the speakers, still havent found a solution to this and the last thing i want to do is damage anything

zach4marston, Oct 26, 2018
  6. zach4marston

Sam Vimes

I'm not familiar with them, but a cursory look online indicates that they are active speakers. You don't need an amplifier, just line level output (left to one speaker, right to the other). However, I'm into domestic hi-fi, not mixers and DJ stuff. I'll be oflimited further use. Just don't go cutting up cables and attaching those speakers to an amp.

Sam Vimes, Oct 26, 2018
Ask a Question