If you like this you'll like........

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by lordsummit, Mar 18, 2005.

1. lordsummit

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

so its into town tommorow to go round the charity shops with a crisp five pound note.

Should be enough for 10 or more albums..

beethoven, more bach, mozart, schubert seem to be popular.

I'll give em a spin.

bottleneck, Mar 18, 2005
  2. lordsummit

PeteH Natural Blue

Absolutely beautiful piece of music I'd agree - and even more so the drop-dead gorgeous Rattle King Roger set which I've just acquired - but to be honest I'd be hard pushed to say it's got anything at all musically in common with Vivaldi, so I don't think I'd agree that 'if you like this, you'll like...' here.

The big Vivaldi choral work to listen to would presumably be the Gloria.

Still waiting for a suggestion to move me on from Nielsen 1 BTW folks :)

PeteH, Mar 18, 2005
  3. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

Have you tried Symphonie Espansiva, and the Inextinguishable. I bought a box set of the Nielson Symphonies conducted by Ole Schmidt, and apart from the rather weird no. 6 they're rather good. Janacek Sinfonietta is another good one, but you probably know that....... Hindemith Metamorphosen on Themes by Weber perhaps?

lordsummit, Mar 18, 2005
  4. lordsummit

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

well, back from the shops, and my wallet is a whopping 8 pounds lighter.

Sibelius Symphony 2 in D
    Beethoven Symphony 3 (Karl Ritter), Symphony 5 (Carl Schuricht)
    Schubert Symphonies 3 and 8
    Mendelssohn Symphony 3 (scottish), 4 (Italian), 5 (Reformation)
    Mozart Symphony 41 in C (Jupiter), 35 in D (Haffner)
    Tchaikovsky Romeo & Juliet and Capriccio Italien

and dylan/ nina simone albums too.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm sure that there will be something there I like.

Chris

bottleneck, Mar 19, 2005
  5. lordsummit

NickM

I expect so too. The Beethoven symphonies you've bought are much more "muscular" than the Pastoral. When the 3rd was first heard it must have been a shock to the listening public - nothing quite like those opening bars had been dared by any composer before. It's as though Beethoven is saying "OK, now shut up! and listen!!".

The Mendelssohn is a good choice, too - I think you'll find the Italian symphony, in particular, closer in spirit to the Pastoral than the other Beethoven symphonies you've acquired.

Will you let us know how you get on and which pieces you respond to?

NickM, Mar 19, 2005
  6. lordsummit

pe-zulu

Bottleneck

Nice collection, you will surely enjoy it.

Beethovens 3.symphony/Ritter reminds me of some Musicdisc bargain LPs released in the 1970ies. Rumour said that the conductor was the wellknown Bachinterpreter Karl Richter, but for contractual reasons he was credited as Ritter on the sleve.It is well known that he conducted Beethoven-symphonies in between his Bachactivities. Does anybody know more about that? About Karl Ritter.

pe-zulu, Mar 19, 2005
  7. lordsummit

PeteH Natural Blue

I have indeed - the other Nielsen symphonies are, I guess, more individual and unique, and in an increasingly different idiom as they progress (the 6th as you say is indeed a bit weird :D ). I'm not quite sure why I'm so particularly fond of the 1st - it seems to have an almost Mendelssohnian brio and energy to it, while at the same time it's kind of muscular and serious. 2 and 3 to my ears have something of the same energy but they're not quite so sprightly.

You've reminded me though that I have a Hindemith CD which I never got round to listening to properly (fiddle concerto, Mathis der Maler, Symphonic Metamorphoses) - I'll certainly have a go at that. :)

PeteH, Mar 19, 2005
  8. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

How about Hansons Nordic symphony and romantic symphonies. You can get them on one of those new living stereo or living presence SACD's. They're rather lovely pieces

lordsummit, Mar 19, 2005
  9. lordsummit

PeteH Natural Blue

That's an interesting idea. I've got the Delos Hanson 5th / 7th / Piano Concerto CD with Gerald Schwarz but it's another one on my "to-listen" list - I don't actually know any Hanson at all. Checking my Penguin Guide I see the 1st and 2nd are the Nordic and Romantic respectively - I'll certainly have a look for those. Thanks :)

PeteH, Mar 19, 2005
  10. lordsummit

griffo104

Point taken but I meant the recommendation as a more contemporary setting of a Stabat Mater than musically similar to Vivaldi - which it certainly isn't.

Still a great piece of music which I'm sure any classical music lover can enjoy.

griffo104, Mar 19, 2005
  11. lordsummit

michaelab desafinado

I've got Hanson's "Romantic" on a disc with Barber's Violin Concerto (Elmar Oliveira) with the Saint Louis Symphony and Leonard Slatkin on EMI.

I love the "Romantic" so I should really go out and get the "Nordic" also. It's funny, I originally bought the disc because I knew that the haunting theme music for the film "Alien" was from Hanson's "Romantic" so I wanted to hear more. Now it's one of my faves :)

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 20, 2005
  12. lordsummit

PeteH Natural Blue

OK, how about:

If you like Grieg's Piano Concerto, you'll like Emil von Sauer's Piano Concerto no. 1. Sauer's work has AFAIK still only been recorded once (by Stephen Hough with Lawrence Foster and the CBSO), but it was one of the most-hyped and best-reviewed issues in Hyperion's Romantic Piano Concertos series. If you haven't already come across this CD I'd strongly recommend you try to have a listen - somewhere between Chopin and Rachmaninov for heart-on-sleeve florid romance, with a marvellously indulgent slow movement and an effervescent finale (which curiously both use the same theme).

If you like Borodin's Second Symphony or Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade, you'll like Balakirev's Symphony No. 1. I can't understand why this work has never got properly famous - it's got a bittersweet nostalgic slow movement easily a match for any of the Russian romantics and a tremendously catchy Scherzo. Again I'd favour the Hyperion recording under Svetlanov.

PeteH, Mar 20, 2005
Ask a Question