I'm a pleb get me outta here

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MO!, Feb 9, 2004.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

C'MOn you've got to admit it's entertaining!

MO!, Feb 9, 2004
  2. MO!

julian2002 Muper Soderator

sorry but no not really. i saw about 20 minutes of it and the best bit was watching tara double barelled whatsername stagger about like a pissed up dizzy bint presenting on itv2. also saw the lydon runaway which was hyped all day and was in fact one of the more tepid moments of tv history.
    on a scale of 1 to 10 - utter shite.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 9, 2004
  3. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Did you watch any of the challenges?

That's what I was refering to as entertaining.

MO!, Feb 9, 2004
  4. MO!

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i saw lord sprocket or whatever his name is in a tank of water with a lizard down his trousers making upper class braying / snorting noises. not really my idea of a good time but ymmv.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 9, 2004
  5. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

oh c'MOn!!!

Watching a bunch of F-List pleb's so desperate for a bit of publicity they do some pretty daft things! It's great TV!!!

It's too easy to slag/dismiss it with the "reality tv" big brother, pop idol, fame academy etc....

Forget the whole thing about them being in the jungle, just enjoy watching them doing ridiculous things just for a few column inches!

And a Million or so raised for charrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrityyyyyyy too!

MO!, Feb 10, 2004
  6. MO!

Sid and Coke

Bollox to it , I enjoyed it. I didn't sit glued to the box or set my watch or anything stupid so i didn't miss it , but for a bit of light hearted entertainment I thought it was OK.
    Jenny was a true trooper and i'd have her in my team any day. The way she tucked into her platter of creepy crawlies was most entertaining. The fish eyes looked the least disgusting of all to me, eating live beasties is just yuck !
    the only other reality TV show I've enjoyed was one called surviver, where they where put on a desert island and tried to win a million quid, i hated it at first but got sucked in after a while.

I never watched any other series of celebrity, but got kinda taken with this one a little, I'm sure that the fact that John Lydon was in it and I'm of an age (38) where he was big news when i first started buying my own records a had a lot to do with it.

Sid and Coke, Feb 10, 2004
  7. MO!

penance Arrogant Cock

I'm with Julian.
    A sad demise that our viewing has come to

penance, Feb 10, 2004
  8. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Why?

MO!, Feb 10, 2004
  9. MO!

penance Arrogant Cock

all IMO ofcourse :)

Just seems no substance to TV these days, and so called reality programs are, in reality, not at all interesting to watch.

penance, Feb 10, 2004
  10. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

That's the thing though.

Don't bother with the whole reality tv thing.

Just watch (well it's finished now), the dick heads being so desperate to get on tv they'll do some pretty nasty stuff. It was "cool" when people did similar things on The Word years ago, however due to the overkill of relity TV these days, people dismiss this as shite too. Maybe it is, but c'MOn, watching them (or anyone), ding them things is amusing! It may not be thought provoking, well at least beyond "could you do that?", but it doesn't always have to be.

All IMO of course :MILD:

((((now get back to the fight thread you tó$$ér!))))

MO!, Feb 10, 2004
  11. MO!

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

That and the 92 million different slants on Home Improvement programmes, and before that the docu-soap and the cookery programmes... is it any wonder people don't want to pay their license fees?

Question is, would any of those F list plebs have done the show if they weren't getting paid for it? Probably not.

ilockyer, Feb 10, 2004
  12. MO!

cookiemonster

Judging by their viewing figures, as i am led to believe, and the fierce discussions over who should be 'relegated', in the office every day, i think there are in fact a large percentage of the population who watch these things.

I must be honest and say that i was not immune to a few cleavage shots when i caught glimpses of it. Beyond that though, i didn't pay much attention.

I reckon that many people slag these things off, but watch them nevertheless when they are not doing so.

cookiemonster, Feb 10, 2004
  13. MO!

michaelab desafinado

I found IACGMOOH pretty entertaining and did watch several "episodes". You can get very "high horse" about what TV should be like but having lived in a number of other European countries and the US I can say categorically that UK TV is still waaaayyyyyy better than anything else.

Take Portuguese TV for example. About 95% of it is game shows and soaps. The intellectual channel (RTP2) can't afford much so has lots of programmes which are basically radio with pictures. Just a bunch of people chatting about politics or something equally mind numbing. Occasionally you'll get the odd 3 year old BBC wildlife documentary at some random time of the day.

As for drama series..forget it. Some of the US ones like Alias and 24 do come around but they're shown at times like 1am and the time varies with every episode. Also, nothing is ever shown in widescreen :(

You guys with British TV don't know how lucky you are :cool:

Michael.

michaelab, Feb 10, 2004
  14. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Probably yes I think.

As cookie mentioned the viewing figures are huge. And they're MOst likely in there for partly the challenge, but MOstly for the publicity!

I'm sure the whole Jordan (oops, Katie) and Peter Andre thing wasn't going to happen, until her publicist told her it would probably be a good MOve ;)

The thing I found amusing was that all these people were saying how much they hated the various insects, snakes, grubs etc.... and were scared of them. But they'd do it as they *had* to. They didn't have to. I'll openly admit i'm a big girls blouse with anything with MOre than 4 legs. I caught MOself watching bits of the challenges from outside my room peaking round the door :lol: These idiots didn't *have* to do these things. If it was life or death then fair enough, i'd do it too. They only *had* to do it bacuase they wanted the publicity. And thus, deserved everything they got, which looked for some to be MOre than they'd expected!

That's what I found entertaining :D

I'm sure they'll all get a cut of the DVD and spin offs that follow. Look what it's done for Tamara PT. She's kinda.... well....... slightly ...... less hated by "the nation".

MO!, Feb 10, 2004
  15. MO!

Sid and Coke

I never ever get bored of Norm in the New Yankee workshop. That guy has a power tool for every job and knows how to use them. Being the night owl that i am a nice cup of coffee and a few NYW's before i go to bed is just the best. I sometimes even have the telly on mute and listen to my headphones whilst watching him in action !! :)
    I also like the one where the ex-vet builds machines from kits. Helicopters, aeroplanes, cars, racing cars, chopper bikes, a Ferrari overhaul.. not as indepth as it could be but entertaing to me ( a terminal bodger and fixer) all the same.
    15-20 years ago there was none of this kind of stuff on the TV, i can't remebebr it being any better, in fact now you can get all of the old shite plus all the new shite, baragain. ( ;) ).

Sid and Coke, Feb 10, 2004
  16. MO!

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Damn right. And the ones who slag TV off saying its not what it used to be, I'm glad its not what it used to be. 15 years ago, I had a choice of 4 channels and mono sound on a TV screen that didnt look too dissimilar to a goldfish bowl, whereas now I have access to over 100 channels, on a state of the art television, with surround sound, the ability to record things at the drop of hat, pause live TV, etc etc, and I rarely ever struggle to find something to watch if I am in the mood. I wonder if the people who say that its not what it used to be would go back to those days of goldfish bowl screens, mono sound, and bugger all choice, with the exceptions of some (admittedly) very good shows - but then we still do get good shows too.

IMO, nothing clouds judgement like nostalgia.

PBirkett, Feb 10, 2004
  17. MO!

penance Arrogant Cock

Im not knocking what ppl want to watch
    it was all IMO and nowt elde;)

penance, Feb 10, 2004
  18. MO!

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Yaay Norm! I love that too. Scarily I mentioned it in the pub last week with a few friends ( waiting for the usual piss taking) and I found that 75% of them also watched it!

Im a celeb is shite imo, bbrother is the next worst, closely followed by the salon. RealityTV is a big bag of wank watched by women while men are at the pub/listening to tunes/working/sleeping/etc

Fat club I find mildly entertaining - coe Freddy Starr is brilliant and I could do with losing a few pounds too:)

lAmBoY, Feb 10, 2004
Ask a Question