Info required re: Audio Research power amplifiers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Corruption, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Corruption

Corruption

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of unbiased info regarding the power amps made by ARC.

I currently have a D130 power running via balanced connections from my Bel Canto Pre3, into Totem Arros. Sounds great at the moment.

Spec for the D130 can be found here:

http://www.arcdb.ws/D130/D130.html

There is a 100.2 power amp (http://www.arcdb.ws/100.2/100.2.html) available from Shadow Audio (now Jordan Acoustic according to their website) at £1495. The spec seems almost identical to the D130 (output power is actually a little less) and both amps were in production for a similar period of time.

Can anyone tell me if the 100.2 is considered to be a range up from the D130, is it using better components etc? Or was this just the introduction of a new range replacing an older one, with much the same performance aside from a few tweaks? The other amps in the .2 range (150.2 and 300.2) both appear to be Digital Class-T amps from the ARCDB website, however the 100.2 is simply listed as a solid state amp...

I only paid £550 for the D130 via eBay, so the 100.2 looks overpriced to me - however if the performance gain is large enough I may be tempted as I do like the ARC sound.

Any information would be helpful :)

Thanks

Neil

Corruption, Sep 2, 2009
  2. Corruption

capdegat

I have the 150.2 and its a superb amp.as far as i'm aware the 100.2 is just the junior of the family ie a T amp .How they compare to older solid state I don't know but it performs effortlessly into my large proacs.

capdegat, Sep 3, 2009
  3. Corruption

saf

capdegat,

Witch proacs are you feeding ?
    I have a pair of R3.5 but seem to be having difficulty in amplifying them....
    For a 50kg speaker...they do seem light with my amp...

saf, Sep 4, 2009
  4. Corruption

doug2507

Also looking into ARC. Could someone advise me if a VT100 and LS25 would be a good pairing? Preferably MKII's. Has anyone had experience with both the MKII and MKIII VT100? And finally, whats the going rate for these s/h as they seem to be rare as rocking horse poo on the market.

doug2507, Sep 8, 2009
  5. Corruption

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I'd ask the question to John at MAX midland audio exchange. You can PM him on Pink Fish Media. As an ARC dealer of many years he will no doubt tell you.

good luck
    cheers

bottleneck, Sep 8, 2009
  6. Corruption

doug2507

Nice one. Ta.

doug2507, Sep 8, 2009
  7. Corruption

capdegat

I've got future2's which are biiig !

capdegat, Sep 8, 2009
Ask a Question