Integrated amp advice?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by gustav's des knaben, Jun 29, 2021.

1. gustav's des knaben

gustav's des knaben

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I'm looking for advice on a nice integrated amp to accommodate my Rega Turntable, and my Magnepan .7 speakers. I love the turntable and speakers so I want something that will compliment them well. I can spend
    2 - $3000. I will also be running a CD changer, sometimes a reel to reel and/or cassette player, and I'd like for it to be able to accommodate my iTunes audio library from my iPhone. Having an FM tuner is not particularly important to me.
    Thank you very much for your thoughts!!

gustav's des knaben, Jun 29, 2021
  2. gustav's des knaben

DMMcG

If you can top up your budget just a little, you may want to listen to an Anthem STR: https://www.ayreborn.com/products/anthem-str-integrated-amplifier

The phono pre-amp that comes with the amplifier is decent, and the upsampling (you can turn this off) really makes a positive difference to iPhone based digital files/streaming.

It produces plenty of power to drive your speakers, seems to be neutral to my ear, and I really like what the ARC Genesis DSP option does to some of my sources - I had never considered the purchase of an amp that would process the music in any way (I am a musician who enjoys music from “real” instruments - though I do own and enjoy a Prophet XL synth that sits beside my grand piano - it uses real-world samples that you can then modify, in addition to purely digital oscillators). Since “going over” to DSP I won’t be going back to trying to manage my room with acoustic treatments, beyond the minimum, common sense things that help the sound of the piano/guitar/vocals that are also part of my listening space.

I’ve had the Anthem for three years now, and I’ve really enjoyed the effortless manner in which it drives my Totem Forests (very different from your speakers, but they also enjoy some extra power).

Good luck with your quest.

DMMcG, Jul 2, 2021
Ask a Question