Internal cable

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by leo, Oct 9, 2005.

1. leo

leo

leo, Oct 9, 2005
  2. leo

zanash

Humm...........take a stroll to the neotech web site they say some strange and rather none scientific things. I'm not certain I'd use there products because of this. If you need any pure 4n solid core silver drop me an email.

zanash, Oct 15, 2005
  3. leo

Malky

Malky, Oct 15, 2005
  4. leo

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Neotech is basically the same stuff as A/Z, Harmonic Tce, Vampire wire etc, it all comes from the same factory Wang Lung

wadia-miester, Oct 15, 2005
  5. leo

zanash

Thats intresting .....maybe it's the language change thats caused the in accuracy.

zanash, Oct 16, 2005
  6. leo

leo

Thanks guys,

I have to be honest, i've not really experimented that much with the internal wiring in any of my diy projects.
    I mainly use a mixture of solid and stranded core pure silver with ptfe jacket which a friend gave me.

So what would you guys say is a good quality copper cable thats easily available in the UK? I basically want to compare it against the silver just to see if Silver IS the best.

I will mail the Missing link but I would like to try some that you guys recommend

Cheers!

Leo

leo, Oct 17, 2005
  7. leo

zanash

if you want a rosy round sound, big bloated bloomy bass,and blurry mid go for copper!

zanash, Oct 18, 2005
  8. leo

zanash

Oh yes Missing LinK.......good people ! tad expensive but helpful and know whats what, and just down the road from me ......so have to say nice things or they'll send the boys round!

zanash, Oct 18, 2005
  9. leo

leo

Is it that bad :confused:
    I actually have a pair of Missing Link Alaqeia interconnects using bullet plugs, they seem ok.
    I must try some different cables, its about the only thing I have not mucked about with yet appart from making some diy Chris van haus mains cable :D

leo, Oct 18, 2005
  10. leo

Hodgesaargh

Hodgesaargh, Oct 18, 2005
  11. leo

zanash

Your right ...but not as good as air !.....in fact not as good as air / ptfe if you use oversized ptfe tube the actual contact area of silver to ptfe is very small. much less in fact than a cotten silver interface as the cotten will tend to sag on to the conductor.

As to cables I've been there eaten the book and read the pie......I've made over a hundred IC cables using all manner of conductors and insulation types and topologies. though its not my style to tell people whats best or what they should be using I see no point in people reinventing the wheel. Just because some people attempt to make vast profits from relatively simple ideas......[take a look at RA for instance though there are many others ] for instance a simple twisted pair of good quality conductors, insulators and good quality plugs will go a long way towards sonicly excellent IC's.

This is starting to go rantish ....but if you see an advert that has all sorts of pseudo scientific gobble di gook the chances are your being mislead.

As to claims of metal purity many of these need to be taken with a pinch of salt to.....
    I recently made enquries of a chap selling neotech cable as to the authenticity of the 6n silver ....his reply was he had just taken the data from the suppliers web page, with out further investigation ! Its a mute point if he was trying to deceive or was just lazy. I feel most of these claims also reffer to the ingot purity and not the finished wire. I can't substantuate this but when you consider that an assey test is quite likely to cost shy of £100 your not going to carry out many of them, and if you do it will be on the stock material rather than the finished product.

Maybe there are people out there that can put me right if I'm in error ?

Another thought has occured to me ......if you have a high purity metal does it have a greater propensity to suck up environmental polution SO,SO2,O3,NO2,NO3 or contaminents from the construction process Fe, Mn, Sn, Pb, etc plus their oxides and sulphides. Any of which will detract from the original purity.

If you have a substance that is 99.99999% [7n] what and how are you going to identify what the remaining 00.00001% is on a commercial scale ?

So I supose what I'm saying is how much relavence are you to place on advertising claims ? For me well its almost none but for others without the knowledge or the ability to find out I suspect they place a high reliance on the integrity of the copy writer/manufactor.

Oh yes there was this bloke who said his 99.9999% [6n] claim was a typo and should have read the industrial standard 99.99% [4n].......but then didn't bother to change the ad !

zanash, Oct 19, 2005
  12. leo

zanash

leo....no it your choice.

I've heard them too, pretty damn good though not much better than a pair I'd made for 1/25 the price.

Nobody can tell you what you should use ....its down to personal preference, and depth of pocket.

The Missing link stuf is very good and if asked I always recommend them over some of the other homegrown cable maker's gear I've used. But they are a commercial enterprise and are by definition profit driven.....not a bad thing, it just needs to be taken into consideration in your choice of wire supplier.

zanash, Oct 19, 2005
  13. leo

leo

Thanks Zanash,

The only reason I use a pair of the Alaqia is because the actual cable didn't cost me anything and I already had the bullet plugs;)

Like I said I've not really mucked about with cables much, just was wondering if theres more improvements using any other types.

I appreciate peoples advice and opinions

leo, Oct 19, 2005
Ask a Question