Is the original Meridian 206 CD player not very sought after?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Therealrocklobster, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Therealrocklobster

Therealrocklobster

Hello all. New member here. I joined to ask you fine folk a question regarding my late father in law's meridian 206.

In a nutshell, my wife and I are looking to sell it and I originally listed it at a fairly high price due to the fact that it's still in its original box, including foam and plastic sleeve. It's also in pretty much perfect condition.

One interested buyer told me that I had priced it too high, since the original 206 was not as good as the later variants and in top of that, it would be impossible to find replacement parts for it, should it break in the future.

He seemed sincere but was really trying to low ball me. So, I guess my question is, is the 206 really worth much less than the 206b and 206ds?

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting this question. I'm not after advice on price, just if my version is worth much less than the later variants.

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Therealrocklobster, Aug 14, 2022
  2. Therealrocklobster

Sergeauckland

As far as I'm concerned, a 206 is a 206 is a 206. (I have one!) The differences in technology of the internal DAC are totally lost as far as audible differences go.

Consequently, whether audiophiles prize one version over another is just plain daft.

My best suggestion is to sell it on eBay, as then it will find its own level. As you have the box, remote control and cabling, you should get the best price for whatever that version goes for.

If you have the user manual, even better, but you should be able to download a PDF of the manual from Meridian's web site or HiFiEngine, and include a printout of that.

S.

Sergeauckland, Aug 27, 2022
  3. Therealrocklobster

chris_w

How many bits is the Dac 16/18/20/24? 18/20 bit ones are really dedecated to other compatable meridian kit Meridian buyers also like to know the serial numbers as well, as these often define the spec and version of the device. Some parts are expensive/hard to get if they go wrong, Given the greater its age the more likely a failure is.

chris_w, Oct 10, 2022
  4. Therealrocklobster

Sergeauckland

Who cares how many bits the DAC section is. It's a CD player, which is limited to 16 bits so whatever the DAC might be, anything over that is pointless. If people are stupid enough to pay more for more useless bits, then let them. Why do we pander to stupidity and ignorance?

S

Sergeauckland, Oct 10, 2022
Ask a Question