Isolda DCT

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by liamjf, Aug 5, 2003.

1. liamjf

liamjf

After my recent upgrades I am more than happy with my setup at the moment, :) But I thought I would also try some Isolda speaker cable instead of my current Kimber 4TC. Anyway, after a long listening session I didn't notice much, if any difference. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to why this might be other than the cables have similar performance despite the price difference. I did wonder about the digital IC (QED P75) - is it worth upgrading to a more expensive cable? Or perhaps the transport is the limiting factor? Not wanting to spend lots of money but would be interested to hear peoples suggestions, opinions before I send the Isolda back.
    It does look nice though ;)
    Cheers, Liam.

liamjf, Aug 5, 2003
  2. liamjf

zanash

Go cheaper and better ! try the Canard on the DIY.

Oh yes the isotrans is on the move [hopefully so watch out !]

zanash, Aug 5, 2003
  3. liamjf

liamjf

Sounds interesting Zanesh, but have you seen my soldering? :eek: :D
    Liam.

liamjf, Aug 5, 2003
  4. liamjf

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

This maybe a case of a lesser transparent system, not allowing a 'different component to show it's differenices'.
    The Isolda, is far more lively/dynamic and open, with that extra bass hump at the bottom, but not every one can hear/tell a difference, due to lack of transparency, so maybe Laim you should stick with the 4 TC and concentrate on other area's such as component isolation or mains treatment WM

wadia-miester, Aug 5, 2003
  5. liamjf

liamjf

Yeah, thanks WM, I think I will.
    BTW, which do you think will make the most difference, a change in digital IC or a Trichord mains conditioner?

liamjf, Aug 7, 2003
  6. liamjf

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Laim, well both can release/unlock good gains, the power block, can be used for both the transport and Dac, (I wouldn't put the amp on as well if you have a 500va version).
    You can also use on any component, so it's flexiable.
    A digital lead, :rolleyes: I'm baised here seeing as we make em', so I'm bound to say yes get one :)
    A lot of people will go yeah cobblers, fair enough, a system sounds can be quiet markedly change with one, who ever's you use.
    You could page 'Trebor' on HFC, he came last week to check out transports for a dac 20, we played about power mods/cables and such like on a dac 20/rega Jupiter/Planet rega transport plus his own digital I/c, he would be able to give you a 'netural view' of how all these items sounded to him.
    Quite a few guys on here have changed digital i/c's in there systems, with varing degrees of success, for myself power is key, and it effects all the components you have. WM

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2003
    wadia-miester, Aug 7, 2003
Ask a Question