Jaw-dropping experiences - post them

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Oct 24, 2010.

1. RobHolt

Richard Dunn

It is not a story, it is fact. It has been commented on privately by IT, but as far as know never publicly, because he knows he cannot counter it.

You and Flatty don't like it because it spoils your fantasy and delusions.

Richard Dunn, Oct 24, 2010
  2. RobHolt

Dave Simpson Plywood King

ROTFLMAO....ahhh, Richard, I love you man.

Dave Simpson, Oct 24, 2010
  3. RobHolt

Labarum

Are we back in "Ya-boo-sucks" mode?

That is regrettable.

Labarum, Oct 24, 2010
  4. RobHolt

Dave Simpson Plywood King

nope....INTERMISSION....back to our feature.

Don't forget to visit our delicious snack bar!

Dave Simpson, Oct 24, 2010
  5. RobHolt

Mr_Sukebe

I guess the first was close on 25 years ago. I owned a cyrus 2/mf system. One particular day I call ed in at a naim dealer who gave me a comparison of my cyrus2/psx to an early nait. The nait killed my cyrus. Some years later it was my naim pre/pow/hicap being made to sound synthetic by my bel canto evo for half the price. More recently was RobHs H2s, which is why I now have a pair of Impulse Ta'us.

Mr_Sukebe, Oct 24, 2010
  6. RobHolt

Jimbo

Probably the best for me was room correction using the Behringer DEQ2496, which relieved my room of a huge bass hump, resulting in a much more enjoyable sound. Now i use heavy solid material under my speakers which also has a beneficial affect.

You can have the most expensive gear out there but if you don't get room right with your speakers it will sound awful.

Jimbo, Oct 24, 2010
  7. RobHolt

UK Duty Paid

In Audio it was hearing a pair of Electrofluidics

I was already planning on getting Jordan drivers but I did not have a clue about how different these speakers would be from all others I had heard.

I've been grateful ever since.

Non Audio it was looking at a Lowry painting in my girlfriend's house & realising it was an original & not a good reproduction. Would you believe he sold these for around £200 in the early 60's?

UK Duty Paid, Oct 24, 2010
  8. RobHolt

Jimbo

The Jordan drivers can make some lovely sounds. Don't know those speakers. Are they still going?

Jimbo, Oct 24, 2010
  9. RobHolt

UK Duty Paid

No

The cabinets were moulded from resin/stone not corian but similar
    designed to be modular upgradeable

But there was a pair of their cheaper version on PFM for around £600 in the last few months

UK Duty Paid, Oct 24, 2010
  10. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

The ones with the covers that wrap around the sides leaving some veneer trim towards the back?
    If so, those were superb. Not the most refined listen but incredibly tactile and alive.
    The very earliest just had the paper bass/mid connected without crossover filter.

RobHolt, Oct 24, 2010
  11. RobHolt

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

There was a craze for stacking them at one stage, one pair upside down so the tweeters were in the middle. Sounded half decent as I remember.

Tony.

TonyL, Oct 24, 2010
  12. RobHolt

theo

1980 - I was 21, in Lasky's in Manchester. They had a full Quad amp system, ESL57s fed by a Technics (I think) d/d deck. It sounded wonderful - I stayed there for ages listening to that system.

1982 - More Quad amps, ESL63s and a Walker t/t at the Harrogate Hifi show. Again, stunning presentation.

1986ish - Naim 01 tuner, Exposure amps, Isobarik speakers (I think). John Peel's Saturday show; I had never, ever heard radio sound that good. This started my love of Exposure amps. I eventually bought this system, but could never get the Naim to sound as good as I heard it that day (couldn't put an external aerial on my flat at the time).

There have been other, more minor ones, but these three stand out.

theo, Oct 25, 2010
  13. RobHolt

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

My first was my brothers system of a Garrard SP25 MK VI with a Shure cartridge, an Anstrad amp & Sennheiser HD414 (I think). Opened my ears. This was around 1978.

This put me on the road to ruin.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 25, 2010
  14. RobHolt

cyp21

First time i heard Paul Young No Parlez in stereo on a cassette walkman when i was about 8 otherwise nothing if im being perfectly honest. :)

cyp21, Oct 25, 2010
  15. RobHolt

lindsayt

Mike, have you made any changes to your system since I heard it earlier this year?

lindsayt, Oct 25, 2010
  16. RobHolt

Pete The Cat

My first hi-fi show at Blackpool's Imperial Hotel in about 1982. After wandering round a few exhibition rooms I heard a female vocalist coming from further down the corridor, what a great idea to have a live act, I thought. Turned the corner to find "her" - a Linn LP12, NAD3020 and whatever Mission standmounters were current at the time. And so my journey began...

Pete

Pete The Cat, Oct 25, 2010
  17. RobHolt

Joe

Hearing Muddy Waters singing 'Mannish Boy' on a reel-to-reel tape recorder via a single ELS57. I nearly jumped out of my skin when he went 'whoa!'

Joe, Oct 26, 2010
  18. RobHolt

Chris

When, after reading an article in Hi-Fi Answers in 1970 something I fitted two cheapo right-angled shelf brackets under the shelf my Dual CS1249 was standing on and then played "sweetest Taboo" by Sade and heard rain pelting down against a skylight where before I had just heard pink noise. That was me hooked and I've been poor ever since.

Chris, Oct 26, 2010
  19. RobHolt

Cable Monkey

Jaw dropping experience? My Dad used his Blaupunkt Radio Gram right up until 1978. By this time he got his dream job (building cars for Rover) and so could afford to replace it. But before then, around 74 when I was 12 I listened to a reggae group called Culture on a music centre made by Sharp I think. I listened through headphones and it was my first real appreciation of stereo.

Secondly, around '79 or '80 we visited a family friend who's husband took me and proudly showed me his system. An LP12, Nakamichi tape deck and active speakers of a make I don't recall. He played me a recording of one of his records (he was a buy, play and record once then put away collector type) and I had no idea cassette could sound so good. In hindsight I now realise that in turn meant the LP12 and the rest of the chain was 'that good'.

Since then I have had some revelatory moments but then I suppose that is what you get hooked on when trying to improve things.

Cable Monkey, Oct 27, 2010
  20. RobHolt

pete693

Sometime during the 1950s I went to a hi-fi show at what I seem to remember was the Waldorf Hotel in London. In one demonstration room was a loudspeaker made by Woden.It was about the size of a double wardrobe,must have been getting on for something like 5 to 6 feet in height.I have no idea what was inside it but it wasn't just jaw-dropping it tended to rattle your intestines as well.

pete693, Oct 27, 2010
Ask a Question