Jimmy Smith RIP

Discussion in 'General Music' started by SCIDB, Feb 10, 2005.

1. SCIDB

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Jimmy Smith, One of the great Jazz innovators has past away on Tuesday 8th Feb from natural causes. He was one of big hitter on the Hammond B3 organ. His virtuosity over the instrument combined with his brilliant infusion of gospel, blues and R&B riffs and melodies into bebop-inspired improvisations place him alongside other jazz pioneers, such as Charlie Parker, Art Tatum and John Coltrane – artists who revolutionized the way their respective instruments were played and who are continuing to have a profound influence of other instrumentalists.

He started off on the panio but in 1951, he switched over to the Hammond organ. He hit the road running with his debut for Blue Note with " A New Sound, A New Star: Jimmy Smith at the Organ, vol. 1." His style of Jazz developed into a fat funky sound from his Hammond organ.

A big run of albums on Blue note such as The Sermon, Back at the Chicken shack, Midnight Special and Prayer meeting. Later He moved to Verve records and produced even more albums. Lps like Organ Grinders swing, Jimmy & Wes - Dynamic Duo and Root down.

Thought this time he toured all around the world showing every one that he was the true master of his craft.

Jazz fell into hard times in the 70s with Jimmy leaving Verve. He recorded for a number of labels in the 70s & 80s but was still touring very heavily. He opened a Jazz club in the 70s to help keep his art alive.

The rise of the acid jazz scene in the late 80s and the rise of hip hop saw a big demand for the Hammond organ and the sounds of Jimmy Smith. The Verve label was revived and Jimmy was back with them.

Earlier this year in the US, the National Endowment for the Arts awarded Smith with the prestigious Jazz Masters Fellowship. He has an new album due out very soon.

He was a very popular draw on the music scene right up to the end. He was another artist I didn't get to see live, much to my regret.

I have enjoyed much of his music. One of his cds made the rounds with me at a number of hifi show visits and bake offs. This was meet with much enjoyment by others.

Jimmy Smith, my favourite Hammond organ player, RIP.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Feb 10, 2005
  2. SCIDB

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Dean.

Thanks for the information, sorry to hear about his death.

Would you mind putting up the title of any favourite album/s, so that those who dont know the artist (myself included) might have a starting point?

Thanks
    Chris

bottleneck, Feb 10, 2005
  3. SCIDB

Tom Alves

Try JS : B-3

[​IMG]

That covers all the most popular stuff including the theme to the Money Programme (The Carpetbaggers) and Dotcom Blues.

Tom Alves, Feb 10, 2005
  4. SCIDB

aguycalledsimon

I'm really sorry to hear about this - I've been a fan since the early 80'S and had the pleasure of seeing him in concert a couple of times - including once when I convinced a group of friends that they simply had to see this guy, and when we got there he had broken his arm (not great for a keyboard player...) but he was still brilliant.

I'm off now to listen to 'got my mojo workin'......

aguycalledsimon, Feb 10, 2005
  5. SCIDB

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Chris,

Checkout the titles mentioned in my first post. Add to "the Cat" as well. But for a good starter and must have for your collection get the cd that Tom Alves has mentioned. That is the one that has done the rounds with me.

Look here for a selection.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/026-8516620-4460447

Also look in Fopp. I have seen his albums for £5 or less.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Feb 11, 2005
Ask a Question