Leak Stereo 70/Stereofetic FM Tuner

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Retro Grooves, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Retro Grooves

Retro Grooves

Hello, I wonder if someone can offer me some advice. I have recently acquired from my late father a Leak Stereo 70/Stereofetic FM Tuner combination in a dual wooden sleeve. I have to say, both the units and sleeve are in absolutely mint condition with not a mark or scratch to be seen. They haven't powered up for well over 10 years, so are currently being serviced by a reputable expert. My question is, would there be a market for this kind of equipment these days? Doing a bit of research, the 70 does seem to be a rare example of a Leak amp and combined with the tuner also quite rare, but I would value your opinion if you should have one. Regards, John

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Retro Grooves, Jun 14, 2021
  2. Retro Grooves

Sergeauckland

Both units are eminently saleable, although not rare as there are a fair few on eBay.

The Stereo 70, if properly serviced is still quite good enough for today's use, albeit with some caveats. Power output is only 35 watts per channel, so efficient loudspeakers are required if sound levels are to be adequate. The amp is not capable of handling low impedance loads, so you really need to ensure that the 'speakers are 8 ohm rated, and don't drop below, say, 6 ohms.

Input sensitivities are more suited to pre-digital sources where 100-250mV output was typical, not the 2V of today's digital sources. You should fit some attenuators to inputs being used for CD or other digital sources.

The tuner, again if aligned properly, is capable of very decent results, especially on BBC Radio 3 and 4. FM radio these days is heavily compressed, and tuners of that era expected modulation to average 30%, not the 99% of today, so it perhaps won't do as well on commercial stations or BBC Radio 1.

As to values, you will get a better idea looking at eBay's completed auctions to see what have been realised, but here's one that sold recently for what I think is a very good (i.e. high) price.

Vintage Leak Stereo 70 Amplifier & Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner Combination | eBay

More typically, I think the amp goes for £100-£150 and the tuner around £50.

S.

Sergeauckland, Jun 14, 2021
  3. Retro Grooves

Retro Grooves

Thank you very much for your informed reply. Most helpful Serge

Retro Grooves, Jun 14, 2021
    Sergeauckland likes this.
  4. Retro Grooves

Retro Grooves

I now have the 70 amp and tuner combination back from the restorers. The following work was carried out:

Replace all coupling and decoupling capacitors on the pre-amp & power amp boards in the Leak Stereo 70
    Clean all pots & switches.
    Re-alaign Stereofetic tuner and clean all switches.
    Clean and polish all woodwork, clean phono connectors on amp
    Bench test for 1hr.

You would be hard pressed to find an example of these units in better condition.

If anyone knows someone looking for these items, please contact me as they are now up for sale.

Attached Files:

Retro Grooves, Jul 29, 2021
    Sergeauckland likes this.
  5. Retro Grooves

AJMP

Hello Retro Grooves,

Please could you let me know the name and contact details of your LEAK restorers.
    Thank you,
    Kind regards,
    AJMP

AJMP, Aug 4, 2023
  6. Retro Grooves

Retro Grooves

Retro Grooves, Aug 6, 2023
Ask a Question