Leak Troughline II - to repair or not?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by la toilette, Jun 7, 2009.

1. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

I've got one of these tuners, looks lovely but doesn't seem able to pick up any stations. Is it worth spending out on it? They don't really seem to have much value now, but do they sound good enough to warrant a potentially expensive fix?

Mine is in v good physical condition with Leak stereo decoder fitted (internally).

Not sure what's going on with analogue radio either, is it on borrowed time or not? Someone told me that it might continue for some years.....

la toilette, Jun 7, 2009
  2. la toilette

RobHolt Moderator

Many regard the Troughline as one of the best tuners ever made and right up there with the expensive Kenwood, Sansui and Accuphase models in sound, if not ergonomics and specification.

It does need a very strong signal - forget indoor aerials, this tuner need a roof mounted aerial pulling in a couple of mv minimum.
    That could explain the lack of stations.

RobHolt, Jun 7, 2009
  3. la toilette

The Devil IHTFP

What Rob said. I have a Troughline with roof aerial, and it's great. If it needs to be fixed up, I believe GT Audio can help.

The Devil, Jun 7, 2009
  4. la toilette

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I agree with the others. It's a mighty fine tuner. Get a good aerial on the roof and you should be able to get more stations.

I do think that analogue radio will be here for some time.

The stereo decoder may be the original one made by Leak. Much better performance can be had by improving this. GTAudio do on which is top notch but not cheap.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jun 7, 2009
  5. la toilette

RobHolt Moderator

James, you have something with tubes!? :yikes:

RobHolt, Jun 7, 2009
  6. la toilette

spica

as said...does need a good Antenna. I have (somewhere) the Troughline III manual with circuit diagram inc if any are interested .

:)

spica, Jun 7, 2009
  7. la toilette

The Devil IHTFP

Er yes. It was strongly recommended to me by a trusted chum, and it sounds absolutely great. I believe its stereo decoder is a Tim de P. effort, but I'm not sure. It cost me £60.

When compared with my other sources (Naim CDS2 @ £6 K and SME 20/SME V/Benz Micro LP Ebony/Whest PS.20 @ £several K) the Troughline is not by any means disgraced.

The Devil, Jun 7, 2009
  8. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

That's all very interesting, thanks chaps. I tried it again and it managed to pick up a local radio station (I think) faintly, so maybe it is indeed all down to the aerial!

I think I might be able to manage an external aerial, so will start looking into the ins and outs of getting one up there. It would be very nice to get some use out of it!

Cheers!

la toilette, Jun 8, 2009
Ask a Question