Leben CS300 Valve integrated -Opinions please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sprogbasket, Jun 22, 2008.

1. sprogbasket

sprogbasket

I am interested in trying a valve integrated in my set up to achieve a slightly warmer , more analogue sound from my CDP.

I will be using the amp with Primare D30.2 CDP and Roksan FR5 floorstanders in a smallish room 12' X 11'.

My musical tastes are mainly acoustic based rock, folk and jazz.

I am very interested in the Leben and possibly the Unsion Research Preludio, unfortunately I have not had opportunity to audition either but both seem to be well thought of and reviews indicate they may be suitable for my needs.

My only concern is that neither are particularly powerful - 12W and 16 W respectively.

I would appreciate any observations regarding these amps especially from those who own or have had experience of them.

regards Sprogbasket

sprogbasket, Jun 22, 2008
  2. sprogbasket

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

hmm.

well I haven't heard either but have had a lot of valve amps.

Roksan say your speakers are 87db and a 4ohm load.

I think you are 'pushing the envelope' somewhat with 12 or 16 watts.

I think you would get away with it without noticeable clipping, but if personally had those speakers and wanted to keep them I'd want more power.

A manley stingray for example can give you 50w p/ch, and sounds quite nice.

Going non-valve, you get some quite nice warm sounds with some Mosfet type amps, the Unico springs to mind.

I use a SET amp myself, but typically use speakers 93db or above.

bottleneck, Jun 22, 2008
  3. sprogbasket

lazyscott1

Hi Sb,
    i have a cs300s which i used with sonus faber ea11's in a room approx 22'x12' and it drove them no probs, It really is a great little amp - much more powerful then the specs suggest.

Hope this helps.

where are you based?

lazyscott1, Jun 26, 2008
  4. sprogbasket

FrankDeckard

The Leben is an excellent integrated but I do think it can run out of steam depending on the speaker and how loudly you play your system. In a small room at moderate listening levels, the Leben will sound great. Best cable with it are the Auditorium 23s from Germany.

FrankDeckard, Jun 30, 2008
  5. sprogbasket

lordsummit moderate mod

The Manley is about 24W in ultralinear mode, that should do the job. To be honest your speakers may be a tough drive for many valve amps. You could look at the Puresound one, I think that has a few watts under the bonnet

lordsummit, Jul 1, 2008
  6. sprogbasket

sprogbasket

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

I did have conflicting reports as to the Leben's suitability with my set up on this site and others.

The over riding feedback from Leben owners/ usrs was that it was a "Magical " amp and should be alright with my speakers / CDP, so...

I have taken the plunge and bought a Leben CS300 - it arrived yesterday and have not had chance to properly listen to it - but first impressions are favourable. Does appear very musical and more analogue sounding than my AVI lab series although instruments not quite as precisely placed within soundstage. But looks like a keeper. Or should it be sounds like a keeper ?

regards Sprogbasket.

sprogbasket, Jul 1, 2008
Ask a Question