Light Headphones Recommends please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ne5, Aug 13, 2020.

1. ne5

ne5

Hello, I am looking at buying a new set of headphones, I know what I want but its difficult finding it.

I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT231, which are really good, I like them but I carry them around a bit to use with my tablet or phone.

I've been through a few sets of phones in my time, and broke them, I expect this will happen to the Beyerdymanics eventually through carrying them about.

So I want to buy a good pair to leave at home, and try to look after them.

I bought a pair of Shure SH840 and I like the sound a lot, but they are so heavy, after about half an hour they almost give me a headache, maybe it is just the band, but they are heavy, and I'm not keen on the coiled lead.

I want a lead, not bluetooth etc, but not too heavy, and quality .... price isn't an objection providing they don't cost silly money. But light and good quality like the Shure (and the beyerdynamics which are a bargain and I've had them a few years now, I listened to them in the shop and preferred them to more pricey ones) is the most important. I don't want buds because they have gave me blocked earwax in the past, and I don't like having to push them in, so closed on ear is what I am also looking for.

I was considering the Audio Technica m50x or the Beyerdynamic DT770 going off the reviews, both lighter than the Shure but nowhere near as light as the DT 231's that I have.

ne5, Aug 13, 2020
  2. ne5

Notable.com

For cheap and portable headphones... get $20-$30 insertable In ear Monitors from monoprice.com Read the reviews and comments about the multitude of models to select flat or bass enhanced or low distortion. When you find one you like ...at that price order a few pairs so when they get worn out from abuse you can move to the next pair. Even some of the $5 dollar ones are adequate for music production on the run. Quick Overdubs or on plane session cleanup or labeling. :)

Notable.com, Sep 7, 2020
  3. ne5

RobHolt Moderator

Koss Porta-Pro - lovely little headphones for £35.
    You can make them sound crazy good by buying a set of Koss KSM75 clip-on earphones (£17) and fitting the earcups to the Porta-Pro headband. The cups are the same shape and use the same fitting, just clip in place.

RobHolt, Oct 15, 2020
  4. ne5

TBH

Agree with Rob. I have been using Koss Porta Pros for 20 years or more. I currently have three pair: gym bag, travel bag and home stereo. For the money, you can't beat them. Very light on-the-ear design.

TBH, Jan 6, 2021
  5. ne5

jbhunter1

I bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH M20x headphones recently. Super comfortable, big but light, and the best quality for the price. The cable is about 10 feet long, which is nice in some situations, but needs to be coiled in others. I think some of their other models feature removable cables.

I give them a 5 out of 5 rating. Highly recommended.

jbhunter1, Jan 21, 2021
Ask a Question