Linn Magik fault

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mjp200581, Apr 14, 2011.

1. mjp200581

mjp200581

Help needed! My Linn magik just died!

I have a Linn magik 1 integrated amp which I just plugged connected with an LK85 I purchased today. As soon as I turned it on the volume went through the roof and smoke started pouring out of it! I immediately turned it off of course but it was too late the damage was done.
    I removed the cover and it is clear to see that one of the IC's on the lower circuit board has burnt out. This component is a Philips TDA1514A and seems to be readily available online.
    Does anyone know if this is likely to be repairable and can anyone suggest a repairers in South Yorkshire?

mjp200581, Apr 14, 2011
  2. mjp200581

Tenson Moderator

Was that a typo, did you mean TDA1541? It is a DAC chip, and if that is toasted, it points to a failed power supply. Replacing it may just give you another burnt chip.

It would be difficult to say if repair is easy because anything can blow when the PSU goes tits-up. However, I'd say there is a reasonable chance of repair. A guy on here does hi-fi repairs, but I don't remeber his name. Rob will know who I mean! Arakas or something.

Edit: haha, my mistake I searched for TDA15414 by accident and got few results. The typo was mine!

Tenson, Apr 14, 2011
  3. mjp200581

RobHolt Moderator

The 1514 is an integrated 'amp on a chip' rated at 50w.
    As such it is unlikely that damage has spread outside of the device and it should be possible for any normal radio and TV repair shop to replace this. You could even buy the part and supply it to them.

Simon means Jez at Arkless - http://www.arklesselectronics.com

RobHolt, Apr 14, 2011
  4. mjp200581

mjp200581

Thanks guys,
    Typos are entirely possible as I'm currently doing my best to imbibe a bottle of Burgundy. Anyway I just checked and it is definitely a TDA1514A the other numbers written on it are N80TA7 and HSH9824 7. There are 4 of these in a row and only one appears damaged. The probably cause was that I hadn't pushed the plug socket fully home, nobody to blame but myself.

mjp200581, Apr 14, 2011
Ask a Question