Linn Majik LP12

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JamesG, May 15, 2008.

1. JamesG

JamesG

I went to a Linn vinyl open day yesterday, hosted at Sevenoaks Guildford and came away very impressed with the new Majik LP12 turntable.

Mind you I am suprised I got to listen to it at all. The whole concept of open events, I thought, was to enable people to listen to a range of equipment and allow individuals to determine what could, potentially, work for them. However it was more like being sold a timeshare as after having been sat in there for 30 minutes with the man from Linn on my own I still hadn't heard any music. I literally had to tell him that I wasn't interested in the new Linn music streamer box, that I had no interest in the different sound available from FLAC vs MP3 and that this being a vinyl demonstration I would, if he didn't mind awfully, actually like to listen to some LPs.

I don't know why they let these sort of people represent their products. It's their whole "let's make hi-fi both simultaneously very dull, yet overbearingly complex" attitude that puts me off going into hi-fi shops in the first place. Why he couldn't have just paired the new Majik LP12 with another turntable from say Rega or Clearaudio let me sample the difference. Or if that's too risky how about just a Majik against a full flight LP12 so I can hear what the benefits of those upgrades might be. I got the impression that even the guys from Sevenoaks agreed with me, but the man from Linn was insistant that no comparison could be done that day.

Anyway, once the music started, and he'd finished with the Linn is better than anybody else sales pitch, I must say I was very impressed both with it and Majik 140 speakers that they were using.

JamesG, May 15, 2008
  2. JamesG

rawhide

I've not bothered with any vinyl in years but on Saturday I did buy a Majik cd player from Hifi Cinema in Aldermarston. I'm very happy with it.

I listened to it through pair Dali Mentor 5 which they were raving about. They also hooked up a pair of Majik 140's but I felt the base of these particular speakers a little overblown in the Keildh sense.

rawhide, May 20, 2008
  3. JamesG

JamesG

Agreed, they seem to need quite a lot of space behind them to sound at their best. They wouldn't work in my domestic situation for this reason, and even my bookshelf MA GS10s are some way from the back wall.

Good to hear that you liked the Majik CD - I hope you didn't get the whole Linn sales process

JamesG, May 23, 2008
Ask a Question