Look at my mid life crisis everyone...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by julian2002, Nov 26, 2007.

1. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

oh yes i'm deep into my mid life crisis - i've done the younger woman thing which didn't turn out well. that said my best girlie mate is a fair bit younger than me but we're just mates so....
    anyway. i thought i'd give the insane car a try so yesterday i mooched up to york (with said best girlie mate, who also happens to be a petrol head and a trained mechanic) and bought this...
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/266005.htm

i'll post some better pics of it on my drive at the weekend. probably not to all tastes but it gives me goosebumps just looking at it never mind driving it and the sound of that dump valve going off at 6000 rpm is amazing.

all i need now is a chest wig and a medallion and i'm sorted ha ha...

julian2002, Nov 26, 2007
  2. julian2002

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

in 3 words...

''bring it round'' !! - look forward to having the shit scared out of me.

Nice Jules, I've always loved the GTO, and it's smaller brother FTO. It looks like it's been well loved and cared for, and spent upon quite extensively!...

...guess the LPG Lexus idea (and low fuel?!?!?! god you're miles from that now...) idea went out the window? :D hehe

bottleneck, Nov 26, 2007
  3. julian2002

Markus S Trade

You're bound to pick up another younger woman every time you drive to Tesco.

Markus S, Nov 26, 2007
  4. julian2002

chris mate yeah the lpg lexus idea dissapeared and i finally admitted i wanted something insane :JOEL: - it'll probably be the last chance i get to own something lairy so why the hell not. 3 liter v6, 24v, 2 turbos, officially 280bhp but more like 300, 4 wheel drive and steering and POP UP HEADLIGHTS yeah - i AM magnum pi....
    i've got to drop d off round her mums on saturday so i might just pop round afterwards and put the wind up you ha haaaa.
    marcus to be honest i'm apathetic about the whole girlfriend thing at the moment - it's too much effort.
    plus tescos has speedbumps which are a bugger in the new car. besided have you SEEN the women who go to tescos - waitrose or sainsburys maybe but tescos oooohhhh no thanks.
    i'm still keeping the 'party bus' it's just too useful and economical (40+mpg at worst vs 14mpg on average hmmm) to ditch in favour of something that will carry 2 people in relative comfort and supposedly 4 when used as a medieval torture device for the rear seat passengers. also there's no way i'm putting a bike rack on it with that spoiler is there.... ha ha not that i've been out biking much lately (sorry chris :eek: )

julian2002, Nov 26, 2007
  5. julian2002

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Julian - nice one! Welcome to the wonderful world of the 3 diamonds. 6G72 power should be pretty fun. Is it a VR4?

I-S, Nov 26, 2007
  6. julian2002

MO! MOnkey`ead!

TWIN MEGAPHONE EXHAUSTS,

:lol:

MO!, Nov 26, 2007
  7. julian2002

i believe so - although being an import it's difficult to tell. it has the active aero (well the switch and motors for it anyway), 4wd, 4ws, an lsd in the drivetrain somewhere, 2 turbos, 2 intercoolers (i think), semi electric seats, cruise, a switch for an active exhaust (which again is inoperative thanks to the aftermarket ss exhausts) all of which is i believe vr4 kit. i'll have to check the chassis / engine codes to be sure though.
    pretty fun is an understatement - i thought my lexus and 406 coupe were quick - this is in a whole other league. closest i've personally driven was a z28 camaro but this is even more brutal thanks to the turbos cutting in at about 3.5k and then going mental at 4k and the 4wd just taking it without flinching. the camaro was a lazy v8 and would spin it's wheels and squirm about - the gto does like it's roads to be flat though - thanks to the hardest suspension known to man (well me). it truly is scarily stiff and can get into a bit of a tank slapper if the road is too bumpy but the previous owner took me for a spin and he drove it like fast opn some bumpy yorkshire backroads without putting us in a hedge so iy's possible... - it also likes to tramline a bit too on white lines but then what car with 255x18x35 tyres doesn;t. all adds the excitement though ha haaaaa..

julian2002, Nov 26, 2007
  8. julian2002

DavidF

nice motor

so whats the power out put on that?

DavidF, Nov 30, 2007
  9. julian2002

it's a japanese import so would have been quoted as 280bhp thanks to the japanese manufacturers 'gentlemans agreement' however uk and us versions were 300+bhp. of course it's an old car so some of the horses would have escaped the stable but a conservative estimate would be about 250 at the wheels given the age, 4x4 transmission loss and mods done by the previous owner.
    it's the most powerful car i've ever owned. to be honest it scares me quite a bit. it's noisy, smelly, not relaxing to drive and goes like stink. EXACTLY what i was after.
    went out in it tonight and to be honest i think i drive it slower than the party bus - it's just so much fun accelerating up to <ahem> 70 in 3rd or 4th and then changing gear to hear the dump valve go. definately NOT practical every day transport but as a bit of fun at the weekends it's great.

julian2002, Dec 1, 2007
  10. julian2002

DavidF

...and what mpg does it do...

:D

sorry, theres always one isn't there?

seriously i have no doubt if you drive it with restraint its no worse than any thing else

loks v. nice under the bonnet

:cool:

+ i envy you the V6 burble

;)

DavidF, Dec 1, 2007
  11. julian2002

mpg - i gloss over that one - about 17 if i'm lucky. it's a heavy 4wd car with a big turbocharged engine - i think even my lexus ls400 (4.0 v8) got better economy at around 20-25. thing is though it's not my every day drive so mpg was low on my priority list the main thing is that it's a total adrenaline rush at whatever speed you do - compared to my alhambra it's so visceral - if i've had a bit of an explore of the carpet with my right foot i actually get out of the car shaking. the other good thing is that i've had nothing but thumbs up, aprieciative honks and quite a few girls wave at me when i'm driving it so i'm a happy bunny.
    the v6 burble is nice (not harmed by the massive exhausts) but the whoosh as the turbos spool up and the fizz of the dump valve going off when you back off is great too. i don;t bother even taking the stereo face plate with me the sounds the car make are music to my ears...

julian2002, Dec 1, 2007
  12. julian2002

DavidF

enjoy....

:redrum:

DavidF, Dec 1, 2007
  13. julian2002

Dev Moderator

My sentiments exactly.

Dev, Dec 1, 2007
  14. julian2002

Robbo

I think its great julian. enjoy every minute!

Wish I had pretty girls waving at me!

Robbo, Dec 1, 2007
  15. julian2002

DavidF

youu just don't get it with a transit connect!

[​IMG]

DavidF, Dec 1, 2007
  16. julian2002

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I-S, Dec 9, 2007
  17. julian2002

cooky1257

Yeah, Ideally you need both.
    The Mitzi to pull the women and the Transit to dispose of the bodies.:devil:

cooky1257, Dec 9, 2007
  18. julian2002

DavidF

...er ,I don't think thats exactly pc cooky!

:)

DavidF, Dec 9, 2007
  19. julian2002

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

I get good mid life crisis results with my Smart car. Don't use the jag at all these days.

larkrise, Dec 9, 2007
  20. julian2002

andyoz

I had a Mitsubishi Starion in the early 90's. Loved it.

Abused the hell out of the engine and it never failed. Even ran the engine with the wastegate disconnected for a day and still didn't blow it (had to keep the revs low though).

Mitsubishi have a knack for making engines that last for ages even when abused.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2007
    andyoz, Dec 9, 2007
Ask a Question