Looking for amp advice for Spendor S8e

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tav, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Tav

Tav

Hi, I think it's time for a new amp(s) to compliment my Spendor's. I'm looking to spend about £1000 on the second hand market. Currently I have a Cyrus 8vs2, Cyrus X Power and a Chord Mojo fed from a Linux pc with FLAC files of various bitrates. Oh, and an SVS sub.
    I listen to a lot of varied music from female vocals, acoustic stuff to ACDC and RATM with a bit of old skool dance thrown in for good measure.
    I've been searching around for some ideas but don't seem to be getting very far.
    I do like to push the volume quite a bit and although it does sound good, especially at moderate volumes, it gets a little harsh at the top end after a while as is known with Cyrus gear. Fatigue sets in and spoils the experience.
    I've always liked MF stuff but I'm not sure it'll be a good fit for my Spendors. I've heard Exposure amps might fit the bill but not being able to audition is obviously a down side.
    If anybody with any knowledge or experience of the Spendors could help me out with some ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Tav, Feb 26, 2021
  2. Tav

redroute

HI, I have a Cyrus system and agree it can be harsh, I have stuck with it over the years as this is one of the amps which fits in the space I have! I'm not going to be able to answer your initial question but can offer my experience which might help you. Over the years I have slowly made the system more to my liking with a less harsh sound and have ended up with the following. 2 x Cyrus 8 switchable mono power amps 2 x PSX-R units and a Clones Audio AP1 preamp (look it up it fits the space!) source Spotify with Dragonfly DAC with SpendorS6e speakers. I have bi-amped my system vertically (I tried horizontaly and it was awful) which I think works really well with half decent cables (I don't buy all the cable B/S I am afraid maybe some can hear the difference but not me) and now the system is a lot smoother and to my liking. So before ditching the cyrus X power it might be worth picking another up to bi-amp and changing the Cyrus 8vs2 with a softer sounding pre-amp (as I think this is where the harshness is coming from) I think this could give you what you want, anyhow just a thought

Good luck

redroute, Mar 3, 2021
    Tav likes this.
  3. Tav

Tav

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. As it happens the Cyrus amps have been traded in today for an MF KW500...and it has blown up!
    It never rains but it pours.

Tav, Mar 3, 2021
Ask a Question