Looking for full balanced CD player with warm analog sound

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by yoms, Jan 14, 2008.

1. yoms

yoms

Hello,

I own active studio monitors (NHT M-00 / sub S-00). The sound is analytical, lively with strong immersion into the music. My preamp is a passive Promitheus TVC balanced. I am presently looking for an integrated CD player.

My criteria are the followings, both are mandatory to me:
    1. 100% full balanced conception throughout the whole circuitry
    2. Very warm, smooth, analog but detailed sound
    3. Price range : 0 to 1100 euros / $1650 USD / £830 GBP (buy new)

Could you help me building a shortlist of the devices that match BEST my requirements ?
    Then, I'll be able to read reviews and post on the dedicated topics. So far, I have only heard about Cayin CDT-17A and CEC TL51XR.

I really thank you for your kind advice :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2008
    yoms, Jan 14, 2008
  2. yoms

Tim F

Not heard it myself but Audio Research CD3 sounds like your sort of player.

Tim F, Jan 14, 2008
  3. yoms

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Yoms Hi, welcome to Zerogain btw, you seem to like 'pro' gear why not check out some good DACS, Lavry 924 or Prism DA2 or the MSB platinum , not cheap but superb dacs,Keith.

Purite Audio, Jan 14, 2008
  4. yoms

yoms

Thank you, I'll have a look at this one as well.

Some people know the Cayin CDT17 and CEC TL51XR ?

yoms, Jan 14, 2008
  5. yoms

yoms

Thank you Coops,
    A good DACS + transport would indeed be more expensive. I won't be able to afford. Moreover, I'm looking for something more colored to compensate NHT's extreme analytical sound. Hope it sounds clear, I'm french actually.

BTW, I'm not able to answer your PM :confused: but I live in France as you may have guessed now :D

Cheers,
    Yoms

yoms, Jan 14, 2008
  6. yoms

Yoms Hi, the Lavry and the MSB while they have heaps of resolution are not overly analytical ,I don't think you should be looking for a 'coloured or soft' sound just a really good sound, regards Keith.

7. yoms

yoms

Coops Hi,

Maybe coloured is not the right word. I don't know how to put it in English.

But I'm clearly looking for something which, to some extend, will temper the clinical sound, let's say "cold", of my monitors.

But I love monitors sound, I won't change them. The idea is to have this monitor-like sound with a smoother and warmer touch.

yoms, Jan 14, 2008
  8. yoms

The Lavry and MSB don't add colour or warmth, they are just not harsh or digital, both have tremendous resolution, and the sound is very natural, they offer the best digital sound I have heard to date, far better than anything else I have heard including my old £7.5k CDP! Keith.

9. yoms

rollo

Yoms,
    The combo of the TVC and NHT is a truly revealing system. The TVC is ruthless at revealing faults in the CDP. especially the Promitheus. The CEC line in known to have a warm character as well as Lector from Italy.
    The Promitheus DAC can be warm if the internal wire is copper andthe RCAs as well. A inexpensive Yamaha or equal CD player as a transport and your in cheap. Another option is the Oritek DAC $200 more but well worth the extra money IMO.
    If you must have a single box player and cannot find a suitable player try a tubed linestage. They go real well with the NHT system. You will get some warmth a bit more body and authority as well.
    Have fun trying. There are several options for you to consider.

rollo

rollo, Jan 14, 2008
  10. yoms

yoms

Hi Rollo,

Thank for your reply.

Yes, I really prefer an integrated CD player. I'll edit my first thread to precise this point.

I agree with your opinion about CEC and the tube linestage. That's also why I've mentionned the Cayin CDT17-A.

Basically,I know what I want, but I don't know which brand propose players that match my desires. So, my query is rather on getting a short-list of integrated CD player to be considered. Then I'll read reviews here and elsewhere to make up my mind (as it will be almost impossible for me to hear them due to my location).

What specific models do you think I should consider ? Are Cayin CDT-17A, CEC TL51XR, Audio Research CD3 perceived as the best matching devices for my purpose ?

Cheers,

yoms, Jan 14, 2008
  11. yoms

kmac

yoms

You could look at the following CD players with a valve output stage:

Easter Electric Minimax - seemed a bit soft ( i.e. not as detailed to me)

Unico CD - there are two and I listened to the more expensive one - detailed yet warm CD player this

Other brands that do these (and you havn't specified a price range):

Lecteur, Audio Aero

Not sure if any has balanced outputs though

kmac, Jan 14, 2008
  12. yoms

yoms

I'll have a look. If it's not balanced, I won't be interested.

As for the price. I can afford a Cayin CDT17 or CEC TL51XR, but that is mainly due to the fact that they are chinese devices and can be found at discount prices on the web. So let's say 1000 euros up to 1100 including shipping.

Thank you.

yoms, Jan 14, 2008
  13. yoms

kmac

Okay the Easetrn Electric is circa £800 new and I thinkt he Unico was £1200

Both can be had second hand for much less of course.

kmac, Jan 14, 2008
  14. yoms

yoms

kmac > thanks a lot for this references. If I buy second-hand I would prefer buying after having seen the CD player to check everything is fine. So it imposes somewhere close to my home. And I must say, these kind of devices are not found second hand .

So, I guess I'll go for something new...

I'll have a look at these ref.

yoms, Jan 14, 2008
  15. yoms

yoms

Edit of my first post to specify a price range.

yoms, Jan 14, 2008
  16. yoms

Elberoth

CEC TL51XR fits your (sonic) bill.

Elberoth, Jan 14, 2008
  17. yoms

The Devil IHTFP

Careful. Your French accent is slipping.

PS All CD players have "analogue" sound.

The Devil, Jan 14, 2008
  18. yoms

anubisgrau

you've already have the best CDP in your price range: CEC 51XR (on behalf you really get it for that price when include shipping, customs and VAT - i doubt so).

i would be also quite careful about balanced outputs on the CDPs in this price range. my experience is they have a higher output but inferior sonics to the single ended ones. the reason is that the balanced stage is performed with the lousy opamps. to really benefit from the balanced outputs, you have to go esoteric or accuphase....

anubisgrau, Jan 14, 2008
  19. yoms

RobHolt Moderator

Recipe for a warm sound

Buy any decent CD player and either a pre amp with subtle tone controls (eg Quad 'Tilt') or stick some EQ into the system.

Electrons and stupid, they know not and care not where they've been or how long the journey. Just listen to the end result.

Tinkering with the miniscule differences in presentation between CD players might work with one of the more extreme designs with a deliberately poor frequency response (ie lots of HF roll-off or bass lift) but there are easier solutions.

RobHolt, Jan 14, 2008
  20. yoms

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Find a s/h audiomeca mephisto - will meet your spec perfectly

larkrise, Jan 14, 2008
Ask a Question