Lowther Horns

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Dec 6, 2004.

1. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Dec 6, 2004
  2. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Ive been spending a lot more time with the above, so thought I might write a little more.

I love the aesthetics of these things, with a solid oak cabinet, and the taupe speaker grille - they just look so classy.

The boxes are big, but not unacceptably.

The clarity of the drive units is very suprising (to my uneducated ears). The odd extra detail in recording now stand out.

This clarity has been particularly remarkable with AV. It amuses me greatly to use a pair of Lowthers for AV - it appears to be a mismatch on paper. But what does a sheet of paper know about speakers anyway.

The cabinets have horn loaded bass, and to be honest they go as deep as many floorstanders Ive heard. Again, I just didnt expect that from a pair of not especially massive horns.

So there you have it - clarity, plenty of bass, and boy these things can go loud. They really need a bigger room I think though - I bet they'd sound ace in something around the 23ft by 12ft size. My 17ft by 9ft really is too small to let them breathe.

The article above reccomended corner placement so that they could get additional boost, but I'd love to hear them in a wide open and clear space, Id swap the lack of room resonance for a little bass. They can easily afford to lose a little, if thats what happened.

I also read in the hifi world article that these go for 300-500. I just think thats such a joke. Im glad people dont catch on to vintage speakers much, a pair of horn loaded oak cabinet speakers these days couldnt be had for under 3k I'd warrant (if there are any out there)

Im looking forward to my own horn speakers even more, but have pretty much come to the conclusion Im almost certainly going to have to move to get the most out of them. I dont mind that at all.

Chris

bottleneck, Dec 10, 2004
Ask a Question