Mac 'the tool' for photography?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Heavymental, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Heavymental

Heavymental

Hi all,

Been a while since I logged on here.. well.. last time out it was Zerogain I think! Still some familiar names around which is nice to see. Now I don't have an office job I don't tend to spend much time on forums anymore so not a regular visitor here!

I reckon a few of you will have an opinion on my question though. I have a sideline doing a bit of photography (I know... everyone and their dog seems to!) and I'm finding my old laptop (with additional IPS screen) is really struggling under the load of handling RAW files. Slowing down and freezing sometimes. After only a minute or 2 of googling, it's obvious that 'get a mac' is the default response for anyone looking at getting a device for anything photography related. As a PC user I have trouble understanding what those tangible and intangible things are about Macs. I don't spend much time on Photoshop as I don't do too much work on my pictures so I'm not rushing into a Mac purchase.

What you think? Is it a no brainer for reasons that will become obvious as soon as I fire it up?

Here's my website by the way, if you want a look. http://www.thomasbown.com/#/blog/4556870719

Heavymental, Oct 2, 2012
  2. Heavymental

Chris Davies

Hi

I think it's more about the Os these days than the computer it's self. If you want to run OSx but not spend on a Mac Pro or MacBook Pro you can always buy/build a hackintosh. The current line of MacBook Pro systems use intel I series CPUs controllers etc (similar hardware to well specified Lappys.

Aperture and photoshop are a good OSx combination for photography but Lightroom and photoshop work well on PC.

If your PC has an SSD drive 16gb ram or more and a couple of storage/scratch disks accompanied by one of the I series CPUs (I3 I5 I7) from intel you should have no problems with a windows based machine.

Chris Davies, Oct 18, 2012
  3. Heavymental

Neil

My take: Mac screens are fab, often much better than budget/mid range PC offerings.
    If you want to do only basic editing and organising of your portfolio the 'free' iPhoto app is ...well......free! There are also cheap applications like coloursplash which are useful for special effects (of the commercial variety). Of course Photoshop/aperture are there should you need them.
    Pop into an apple store if you can or have a play on a friends Mac.

Zerogain? You and I remember the Groovehandle :)

Neil, Oct 22, 2012
  4. Heavymental

Heavymental

Thanks both. Still deciding but just checking out PC options as decided I don't want to get into Mac. Have looked on spec-it-yourself websites but currently thinking I might just pop into PC world and get something off the shelf as I don't need anything too speciailist... just fast and powerful.

Ha, I came in just after Groovehandle I think. Did some research for the system I was building and stuck around for a bit longer. I bought a Pioneer amp second hand of Wadia meister(?) which is still going strong and chatted photography with Michael.. infact I got my first serious camera from his suggestion... An Olympus E-10. Bought a few CD's and records off various people, sold some to Mo! and chuckled about Paul Birkett's plan to drink lots of orange juice to improve his health! Ha. Any of them still posting?

Heavymental, Nov 21, 2012
Ask a Question