Magdalena Kozená (not just Bach)

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Coda II, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

Does anybody have any of the recital discs? Would be happy to hear what the Bach people think of her recordings but also interested in the more recent repertoire.

Thanks

Coda II, Jan 13, 2005
  2. Coda II

tones compulsive cantater

I have her on the Gardiner cantata DVD in which she sings in BWV199 "Mein Herz schwimmt in Blut", quite effectively if I remember correctly (this is because a friend borrowed the DVD about 9 months ago and still has it!). You'll find a reviewer on Amazon who makes an almighty meal out of what he sees as inappropriate facial expressions during this performance (i.e., if you heart is swimming in blood, you've got no right to be smiling). Perhaps this is an advantage of sound only. I also have her singing in some of the Archiv recordings of Marc Minowski and Les Musiciens du Louvre, and she's good there.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8590/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_26_1/202-4314930-9595001

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8625/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_26_7/202-4314930-9595001

tones, Jan 13, 2005
  3. Coda II

griffo104

I have several of her recital discs and find them very enjoyable. Some of the selection of composers covered especially from her homeland (and surrounding areas) is also a bit more original than simply rehashing the same old arias.

The Dvorak/Janacek/Martinu disk is excellent and I can highly recommend it.

The Le Belle Immagini disk which covers Mozart and Gluck also adds Myslivecek - a composer I wasn't familiar with - is also very enjoyable.

griffo104, Jan 14, 2005
  4. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

Agree completely with this sentiment (but have only heard her on broadcasts so far) and yes, that was the disc that looked most promising to me.
    Her next release is mainly Bach - but some of the rest of the family as well (JC, CPE, JCF) plus Conti.

Does any one else find they like the sound of a performers voice in one language but not in others? eg have never really liked Anne Sofie Von Otter in German (a bit too hard) but in Swedish she sounds beguiling.

Coda II, Jan 14, 2005
Ask a Question