Magnepan/Magneplanar speakers, - a model with the ribbon tweeters.

Wanted: Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by Colin151, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Colin151

Colin151

Hi there,
    Not sure if anyone can help as these speakers are pretty un-wife friendly monsters and rooms in the UK are small here compared to US so there are perhaps not so many around here but I am looking for a Magnepan/Magneplanar pair of speakers with the full ribbon tweeter.

So therefore the models that fit this criteria are:
    MG2.5R, MG2.6R, MG3.5R, MG3.6R, MG3.3R, MGIIIa
    The only other one with the true ribbon is the older MGIII which is a bit old now and almost certain to have delamination problems so I'd prefer to avoid that one, but I'd consider any of them with all the panels working or even a pair with dead panels for a reduced price.

Obviously models like the 1.6QR, MMG, SMG, MGI and MGII are no good for me as they don't have the ribbon tweeter.

If anyone has anything they might sell can you let me know please. Good price paid.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Colin151, Jul 24, 2010
  2. Colin151

tarkus

just a thought.
    you interested in a pair of apogee slant 6?

tarkus, Jul 25, 2010
  3. Colin151

Colin151

Hi there,
    Thanks for the reply.
    The Slant 6 is a nice speaker but its too heavy to move around for one person. I need to be able to move it around as I have a few different pairs of speakers I use and I change around quite a lot.
    I know the build of Apogees is better than Maggies but it unfortunately also makes them a lot heavier. All the Maggies bar the 20.1 are moveable or even liftable for one person. The Maggies are also very easy to store when not in use as they are so thin.

If anyone has a Maggie model with the ribbon tweeters they might sell please let me know

Cheers again,
    Colin

Colin151, Jul 25, 2010
  4. Colin151

Ken

Ken, Jul 26, 2010
  5. Colin151

teaseme

i have a spare pair of magneplanar SMGa's , easier to drive than the later maggies, lovely condition, cherry trim/brown socks, not sure if they have the ribbon tweeter, in london (camden) as well.

teaseme, Jul 26, 2010
  6. Colin151

Colin151

Colin151, Jul 26, 2010
  7. Colin151

Colin151

Hi There,
    Thanks for that, - the SMG is a nice speaker and the smallest older Maggies this model does not have the ribbon tweeter though, - just standard planar magnetic tweeter. I am still interested though, I have the money aside for the ribbon pair but after I sell some of my other stuff I have on Ebay I'd be interested in these for a smaller room- will send you a PM to discuss.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Colin151, Jul 26, 2010
  8. Colin151

Colin151

Bump,.- still looking for a pair of Maggies the ribbon tweeters

Colin151, Aug 2, 2010
Ask a Question