Mahler Kubelik

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Neale, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Neale

Neale

What are most proples views of the Kubelik live Mahler symphonies

Neale, Aug 5, 2005
  2. Neale

titian

I have bought at the german hifi show in Munich most of the symphonies on LPs, but I haven't heard them yet. :(
    As soon as I do I'll let you know.

titian, Aug 13, 2005
  3. Neale

pe-zulu

Titian,
    perhaps you have got the problem of many collectors, aquiring the recordings they want, as soon as they get the chance, and listening to them as soon as they have got the time, but continually building up a long and ever growing queue of recordings waiting to fill our auditory canals.

How do we solve the problem.

Shall we ever manage to listen to it all in our lifetime.

Regards,

pe-zulu, Aug 13, 2005
  4. Neale

titian

Zulu,
    nice that you talk about this problem. A new thread should be opened for it. I think that everybody has slightly different problems.
    The main issue I had this year was to terminate my hifi setup including room acoustics. Most attention was to increase the quality of my analogue part and acoustics. To tell it shortly in one months maximum its definitevely terminated. I decided also to spend more time in knowing other Hifi people in Germany so I went there also a couple of times. At the show in Munich I saw they were selling on special price these 180gr records of Mahler's symphonies with Kubelik. As you know I love Kubelik's interpretations and I heard only good comments about these special live recordings so I bought them without esitating. Since my analogue part is not yet at the level I want it to be, the records are still in the bag! Until last month I was increasing my Cd collection. I bought for example the whole "Karel Ancerl gold edition" which is a 24-bit recording reissue of all his recordings in the past, including some mono ones. Meanwhile I heard all the 42 CDs. I bought also lots of CDs of Gergiev and of the sisters Labéque as well of Gardiner. I heard them all! I also bought this year a lot from the Brilliant classic editions and the Bach complete edition but haven't heard them all. I must admit I bought so much this year and at from now on I'll only go for excellent recording quality.

The main problem I have came after the acoustical treatment of my room because I had to make place for my seven bass-absorbers. Some of my record shelves had to be dismounted and put in the guest room. I have to reduce my record collection not only for space but also I don't see why I must keep stuff if I know I wouldn't hear them anyway. I decided to through away those records which have such a bad recording quality, that I would never hear them. So now I'm going through my 7000-9000 (?) records and selecting them. The biggest problem though in this, is to stop listening to the record once I have catalogued its sound quality. The music is very often so great that I cannot stop listening to it. But it is such a good feeling going through these records again! I'm realizing that I really don't need to buy more recordings except for extreme good quality ones.

My main problem is that when I see a sale I can't keep my fingers away from it. When I can buy the Karel gold edition or any Verve master edition reissue (Jazz) or Enja Jazz CD for 5-6 € per CD, unfortunately I don't esitate much. :(
    I hope I will be able to cure this illness.
    One positive thing I must say is that this year I heard much more music than last one. :)
    I'm also intending to increase my visits to live concerts. :D

best regards

titian, Aug 13, 2005
  5. Neale

pe-zulu

Titian,

Well, slightly different problems, but i think the main problem is common to us and many others.

I newer was a devoted HI-FI fan, and in my listening room of 15 squaremeters I can very well make do with my standard Naim kit and middle-sized Ruark floor speakers with one subwoofer in between. My wife doesn't allow me to use the bigger living rooms, and this would even interfere with the TV watching and other things.

The main problem is too many CDs, which need too much room and too much time to be listened to. And I can't stop buying the CDs, when possible, - nobody knows, when they will become deleted (I too have relative short time ago among others aquired the Haenssler "complete" Bach Edition, and most of the Brilliant Classics Bach Edition , as you know including two sets of cantatas - ca 120 CDs - , seem impossible to get through, how on earth did Bach find time to compose all that high inspired music), and every time I aquire more than 10 CDs, I use much time to reorganize my collection in order to put the newcomers in a place , where I can find them without using too much time!! I run through my entire collection (don't listen to them though) every three months, but I can't find anything, of which I can say, that I probably shall not listen to it any more. And I don't care for recording quality, and consequently I own many older recordings, as well as I have transferred a lot of older LPs to CD. I should never be able to discard a musically satisfying recording for the sake of bad recording quality.

Maybe I shall find the time, when I retire, but I don't for that reason plan to take that step so far.

Kind regards,

pe-zulu, Aug 14, 2005
  6. Neale

titian

great, so let's go together to the doc. :D
    better a "small" room for yourself than a big one, where you cannot do anything. ;) 15 m2 is more than lots of people have in the UK.

especially when you have a family and other interests...

perhaps he had a computer which write down all variations of notes? Or perhaps he hired a few hundreds of indians or chinees who instinctively plaxed around with notes? ;)
    I heard about alphabetical order, somewhere..
    I selected about 100 up to now...

I thought that also. But on the other hand giving away 700 LPs out of 8000-9000 and maybe replacing 50 of them with CDs wouldn't harm me or the music.

hey. that is exactly what I often thought about. We are (I am) getting really old starting to think about retirement. :D

titian, Aug 14, 2005
  7. Neale

pe-zulu

IMO our problem is not a mental disease in the strictest sense, but rather a frequently occurring normal variation. So I think, we should go to the psychologist, if we must go somewhere. But to be honest, I am not sure, I want to be helped. :MILD:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2005
    pe-zulu, Aug 23, 2005
Ask a Question