MC Phono preamp recommendations (under £500)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Doctor Fuse, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Doctor Fuse

Doctor Fuse

I just scored my first MC cartridge - a Linn Asak, for peanuts - and now my phono preamp seems woefully inadequate (Pro-Ject Phono Box S). Way too noisy, not particularly attractive in sound, nor detailed enough.

So I guess an upgrade is called for. Any recommendations for a phono stage under £500?

System is: Linn Asak on a Thorens TF 160, Phono Box S, NAD 3020 as preamp and tweeter amp, and Nikko Alpha II as woofer amp, running Linn Sara 9s.

Thanks!

Doctor Fuse, Jul 3, 2017
  2. Doctor Fuse

Arkless Electronics

You won't do any better than the Arkless 640P which I make. Google it. You cannot try before buying though.

Arkless Electronics, Jul 4, 2017
  3. Doctor Fuse

leaudiophile

Hi, I would look for a Linn Linto , it's MC only. Other options would be an amp with built-in phono stage. Linn intek, or a Cyrus 2 and Psx.

leaudiophile, Aug 3, 2017
  4. Doctor Fuse

Roxbrough

eBay item number:

Roxbrough, Aug 9, 2017
  5. Doctor Fuse

Roxbrough

Get rid of the Sarahs at your earliest opportunity and get something a bit more fluid in presentation.

Roxbrough, Aug 9, 2017
  6. Doctor Fuse

ChristianThomas

Personally I would try to get a Naim NAC32 and SNAPS. It's of the era and was designed using the Asak and is a truly great pre-amp. I used one for perhaps 7 years on a secondary system that got used for all sorts of things - TV, DVD, CD and computer - and it never put a foot wrong. It's very musical and from the moment it first went in place (along with an old Naim NAP120) I never felt I had to fiddle. It will also go very well with your Saras (which you might want to change back to the earlier crossovers at some point. But they'll be fine as they are.)

You could go for an NAC32.5 and HiCap but I haven't recommended that because I can't be sure it's quite as 'complete' a product and may have you hankering after something better elsewhere in the system. In either case you'll be able to easily find a way to use one or both of your existing amplifiers for the time being.

ChristianThomas, Sep 5, 2017
  7. Doctor Fuse

Davidcat

I would recommend a Tricord Dino, have a look on eBay. I have used one for many years with a fairly high end system and it has always served me well. It is upgradable with the Dino+ power supply and very flexible with settings for most cartridges. I seem to remember that the Asak is a low output MC , the Dino has plenty of gain and would be a good match. Hope this helps.

Davidcat, Oct 2, 2017
Ask a Question