Melancholy Galliard

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by burnabyguitar, Jul 30, 2022.

1. burnabyguitar

burnabyguitar

Melancholy Galliard

Composer: John Dowland (1563 - 1626)

John Dowland (1563 - 1626) was an English or possibly Irish Renaissance composer, lutenist, and singer. He is best known today for his melancholy songs such as "Come, heavy sleep", "Come again", "Flow my tears", "I saw my Lady weepe" and "In darkness let me dwell", but his instrumental music has undergone a major revival, and with the 20th century's early music revival, has been a continuing source of repertoire for lutenists and classical guitarists.

This Galliard(galliard is a vigorous 16th-century European court dance)is arranged for guitar and is one of RCM (The Royal Conservatory of Music) grade 8 repertoire.

Time Signature: 3/4
    Tempo: 48 - 54 BPM

burnabyguitar, Jul 30, 2022
  2. burnabyguitar

murphybridget

While he is best known for his melancholy songs, such as "Come, heavy sleep" and "Flow my tears," his instrumental compositions have also experienced a revival. With the resurgence of early music in the 20th century, Dowland's works have become a staple repertoire for musicians, including lutenists, classical guitarists, and concertina players. This Galliard, arranged for guitar and featured in RCM Grade 8 repertoire, highlights Dowland's skillful composition and ability to capture the vibrant spirit of 16th-century European court dances. It's a testament to the timeless appeal of Dowland's music that it continues to enchant audiences and musicians across different instruments, including the concertina.

murphybridget, Feb 16, 2024
  3. burnabyguitar

burnabyguitar

Thanks for the comments, Dowland is one of the key artist for the golden age of English lute music.

burnabyguitar, Feb 17, 2024
  4. burnabyguitar

murphybridget

I'm just starting to indulge in his works.

murphybridget, Feb 20, 2024
    burnabyguitar likes this.
Ask a Question