MidFi Upgrade advice, I'm overwhelmed!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Capt Haddock, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Capt Haddock

Capt Haddock

I've re-awakened my HiFi interest due to a random purchase, but now need some opinions as to what to do next. I'm not new to HiFi (had a Cyrus 1, Trio deck and Missions 30 years ago, should never have sold them). I listen to everything bar classical - Steve Hillage to the Sub-Humans, Black Sabbath to Tangerine Dream, Lee Scratch Perry to German Hard House, Trip Hop to Ice T........ varied. My system was until last weekend:

Rega Alya speakers
    Denon PMA 350II (I know its old and bold but I liked the sound for years)
    Cambridge Audio 640c Azur (starting to play up a bit)
    Project II turntable Ortofon 510 cartridge (an original Project II not one of the new ones)
    Squeezebox (rarely used)

Last weekend I happened upon a Creek 4040s2 amp in a sale for £90 so bought it for my son to replace his NAD. I forgot how good amps of this era are, (why did I sell the Cyrus 1) Lurking in the corner were a pair of weird but attractive purple speakers, big steel bands over the top of them. The enthused seller showed me the ribbon tweeter upgrades he had done and gave me a demo. I was hooked. £200 later and they were in the car. Panic! What are they, have I been done? Found out they are MonoPulse 22 units from 2004 but cannot get any info on them even from Allan Hendy - suggested I buy a new pair :(
    I like them alot, tighter and better base than the Alya, good soundscape but in the same vein of real sound.

The dilemma.
    Speakers Swapped, and think I'm happy.
    I will upgrade the Project with an Ortofon Red
    I have funds for either a new amp or CDP not both. I cannot decide which is more important currently. Almost bought a mint Rega Apollo for £200 (and still can), but should I really upgrade the amp instead? I need to run 2 sets of speakers from the amp (speakers B going to a QED switchbox for kitchen and garden speakers), so an amp with second set of speakers is essential. Don't mind second hand. Opinions and abuse welcomed.

Capt Haddock, Dec 7, 2017
  2. Capt Haddock

Jeff Lee

Did you get any replies from anywhere to your query, on this forum or elsewhere??

Jeff Lee, Jan 26, 2018
  3. Capt Haddock

lawrence001

My experience is you'll need to spend a few hundred to get a worthwhile upgrade. If it was me is start with a passive pre (google for more info, a basic model with alps blue pot is good, but you won't get a turntable input you'll need a separate phono stage for that, I recommend the yaqin valve model with cheap upgraded valves added, this will give you confidence to explore more valve options later like a valve buffer between passive and power amp). Does your amp have a pre out/power in it will usually have links between the sockets on the back if so? If not you'll need a power amp on top. Look on eBay, start with a known brand like older arcam, cyrus or audiolab kit, they can go relatively cheap. I use a yamaha dsp e800 processor as a spare, they go for about £40 but if you know how to set them up as power amps they are brilliant. You can worry about the digital source later.

lawrence001, Feb 2, 2018
Ask a Question