mission 753 (non freedom) + 2x audiolab 8000p good match

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by pietfriet, Sep 29, 2009.

1. pietfriet

pietfriet

Hi.

I am planning to buy new amps to drive my mission 753 (non freedom) speakers. I heard they need good power to bring the best sound. At the moment it's connected to a 5.1 Pioneer vsx-ax3 receiver 70watts I'm interested in buying two used audiolab 8000p amps. I want to Bi-Amp the two 8000p's and connect them to my mission speakers. (Offcourse with the bridge removed on the back).
    [​IMG]
    Since the speakers are 100w and the audiolab amps are both 100w will it work? Or will it blow the speakers? If I bi-amp the two 100w amps will the speakers get 200w ?? I am new to biamping and stuff, so any info is welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2009
    pietfriet, Sep 29, 2009
  2. pietfriet

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

hi

the amp driving the tweeters will use less than 1 watt of it's power. The bass cones use more power.

Passive bi-amping (what you're thinking of) can make good results - but it's important that the amps have independant volume controls on them - or you are likely to end up with far too much treble.

Also would reccomend a single amplifier of the best quality you can afford at your price point. This might be worth consideration -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meridian-551-...iers?hash=item3ca5ff7a2d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

bottleneck, Sep 29, 2009
  3. pietfriet

Sonusthree Coaxial Kid

Is this something you've experienced?

Using two identical power amplifiers, not overdriven, should make no difference to the amount of treble. It's still the same signal being applied and effected by the same gain, just free of any effects caused by loading it with the more power hungry bass/mid drivers.

I'm not familiar with the 8000p. Can they be bridged to provide more power?

Sonusthree, Sep 29, 2009
  4. pietfriet

yes.

bottleneck, Sep 29, 2009
  5. pietfriet

Dev Moderator

My understanding is that any pair of gain matched power amps can be used to biamp.

Dev, Sep 29, 2009
  6. pietfriet

pietfriet

It indeed are power amps. No volume control. So normally one amp should do the high/mid and the other amp should do the low frequencies. [​IMG] I am not familiar with audiolab as well. But what i've read in various reviews, those are the best power amps to drive a pair of mission 753 speakers. I want to use my current amp as preamp since I don't have the money yet to afford an audiolab preamp :)
    Everything in time.

pietfriet, Sep 29, 2009
  7. pietfriet

Hi Peitfriet.

If you conduct the following experiment if you buy these amps

1) listen with just one amp with the jumpers on the speakers
    2) remove jumpers and bi-amp.

...you will notice an 'increase' in treble... I guarantee it ;)

Whether people see this as an 'increase in seperation due to seperate amps for each set of drivers', or not, ... that is certainly a view I've heard expressed before.

It's not my opinion - which may be incorrect of course - I put it down to the tweeters getting shit loads of power (more than they will ever need), and the bass cones getting less..

Whether my reasoning on the background of increased treble is true (?), I certainly maitain that an increase in treble is what you will see.

If you buy them and find you agree, you can always attenuate one 8000p's output with a fat resistor. This would take some trial and error to get the right size.

NB
    Not personally an Audiolab fan - although the magazines fell in love with them in the 80's - I remember it well.. it's just a reviewers opinion of course - which you may well share if you get them, or not of course as the case may be.

Either way, hope you get great sounds and enjoy the music.

NB -
    I am sure the Audiolabs will sound better than the AV amp, so I don't think you will be dissapointed from that point of view.

bottleneck, Sep 29, 2009
  8. pietfriet

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

The tweeters get no more power in a biamp config than they do in a non-biamp config for a given volume level.

In my opinion you will get a far better result if you can bridge the amps rather than biamp (which in my experience achieves very little with decently powerful amps), especially for a speaker described as "power hungry". You'll get a better result again if possible to run differentially from the preamp, but that's a whole different story (requiring custom cables).

I-S, Sep 29, 2009
  9. pietfriet

I certainly agree with that.

My money would be going on a big integrated Rotel power amp, which can definately be bridged.

This is the chap -

http://www.rotel.com/content/reviews/amplifiers/rb1080_stereophile_mar2k2.pdf

One would probably provide plenty of power, but two bridged would probably lift the humber bridge! :D

bottleneck, Sep 29, 2009
  10. pietfriet

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

You can't bridge the 1080. My guess is that it is already internally bridged - probably closely related to a pair of 971s in one box (since a bridged 971 runs about 200W).

I-S, Sep 29, 2009
  11. pietfriet

pietfriet

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to give the amps a try. About Rotel, I've looked at the 1080 and these are twice as expensive as the audiolab :) made me only "LOOK" at it. Instead of buying. Maybe later an upgrade in a few years ;)

pietfriet, Sep 29, 2009
  12. pietfriet

spica

thought the 753's were 150w ? remember the sound you like... the Audiolab though tight has a hard machine like sound (repetative/ sameness) and is ok if your not looking for emotion.

Good Luck :)

spica, Sep 29, 2009
  13. pietfriet

Hi Isaac - my bad - perhaps the Rotel amp you were speaking of was the one on my mind.

Pietriet - will be interested to hear what you think - did the treble increase? - also, what you think of the audiolabs. They are a somewhat risk-free punt if bought at a good price - if you dont like there is a ready market for them normally.. all IME.

bottleneck, Sep 29, 2009
  14. pietfriet

pietfriet

Haven't bought them yet. But I will have a listen to both ways bi-amping or normal. if the treble will overkill, I can always use on of the amps to drive my rear speakers :) (mission 780)

spica is right. 150watts. my bad

pietfriet, Sep 29, 2009
  15. pietfriet

zanash

spica ..you beat me too it .....

I found the sound most unpleasent hard in your face shrill .....

though these are sought after amps...but not by me !

there are plenty of other amps that will do the trick ....music fidelity were always seem with mission speakers ....or you could go for a quad power amp

zanash, Sep 29, 2009
  16. pietfriet

spica

Zanash ... Yep, no let up in the 'Hardness' there .

and 'you' beat me too it too :)

For me at this level ... a couple of Musical Fidelity MA-50's would be the better choice. Horses for courses :)

spica, Sep 29, 2009
  17. pietfriet

pietfriet

ok thanks. going to look for used pair of Musical Fidelity MA-50

pietfriet, Sep 29, 2009
  18. pietfriet

there you go ;)

or maybe some used Meridian gear. nice.

bottleneck, Sep 29, 2009
  19. pietfriet

doug2507

I ran a 8000c and single 8000p with my 752f's for a whille then got another 8000p and bi-amped. Difference was night and day. Well worth it but if you can, get a pair of px and use a tag pa20r for pre (best pre out of all audiolab/tag stuff by a good bit). Perfecto. Also, dont use silver speaker cable. Something like standard QED suits the audiolabs a treat and has the bonus of being cheap. I/c's would be chord chorus or if on a budget, QED quinex.

doug2507, Sep 30, 2009
  20. pietfriet

pietfriet

Thanks. For the speaker cables the qed original, qed classic or qed profile ?

pietfriet, Oct 6, 2009
Ask a Question