MK 11 Audiosmile tweeter.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by vwo60, Sep 18, 2014.

1. vwo60

vwo60

Hi Every one,
    A hello from Australia, I have had a set of super tweeters in my system for several years, I recently sold my speakers along with my super tweeters and replaced them with a set of Aurum Cantus Grand Supremes, Over a period of time I noticed the system was missing the finer inner detail that I had with my last set up, since I had sold them to a friend of mine I started a search for a new set that was an improvement over my first cheaper set, Being in Australia it was very hard to have a listen to any super tweeters that are available in the UK, I had to resort to the internet and found a review of three super tweeters including the first super tweeter that Audiosmile made, After talking to Simon I ordered a set from him, they arrived in good condition and have been playing around with them since, I have tried several positions but have settled on them standing up, I have made a set of stands that attach to the back that have a ball joint that allows the tweeters to be adjusted into different positions easily, In the photo it shows the tweeter angled upwards but the best resalts have been found standing straight up, The difference has been very subtle with detail and air increasing without any brightness, Image has increased in height, it has not changed in terms of brightness at all, I can recommend them to anybody who is looking for an improvement to the sound of there system without it being intrusive, they are very well made and can be adjusted to suit any system.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
    vwo60, Sep 18, 2014
  2. vwo60

Tenson Moderator

I like those stands a lot! Can you give us some more details please?

Tenson, Sep 18, 2014
  3. vwo60

vwo60

I made them out of 20mm x 20mm x 1.6mm box section and 1/2" hydraulic tube, silver soldered together, if you want the dimensions let me know.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
    vwo60, Sep 18, 2014
  4. vwo60

mjp200581

Simon, I can help you if you need any silver soldering or brass brazing done.

mjp200581, Sep 18, 2014
  5. vwo60

Tenson Moderator

They look really nice. How did you fix to the ST? Be careful if you drilled the base - the circuit is on there!

Tenson, Sep 18, 2014
  6. vwo60

felix part-time Horta

vwo60 - I have to say, that's a very elegant little adjustable stand you've built! Looks like a ball head / camera tripod fitting, too...

felix, Sep 18, 2014
  7. vwo60

Tenson Moderator

Is it just me or has the photo disappeared?

Tenson, Sep 18, 2014
  8. vwo60

vwo60

I had a bit of an issue getting a ball joint that would be short enough so I could make a bracket that was elegant , I had to shorten the 1/4" metal thread and found out it was Whitworth, some thing that I though was dead and buried years ago, I had to buy a die nut for that, I then removed the mounting flange and machined the threaded part down so it could be bolted to the upright, I will admit I removed the rear cover , gently removed the printed circuit board and drilled and tapped 4 x M4 to mount the bracket to the tweeter, also shortened the nut, compare the photo of the bracket I started with to the finished product.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
    vwo60, Sep 18, 2014
Ask a Question