Modernising OLD hifi system.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Deb123, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Deb123

Deb123

Hi folks, Posting here really in the hopes of helping out my parents. They have an OLD hifi stack sytem, ie tape deck, cd player, radio, and record player all separate bits plus the numerous speakers that came with it.

since moving into a new home they have not put it all together as mother is not a fan of having speaker wire all over the place connecting it all up.

Now the question is this.. In this modern age is there a way in which to connect the stack system to the speakers wirelessly? using all the current kit? With the addition of the modern bit to get it to work..

Assuming it is possible.. where and for what should they (i) be looking for as in makes ect?

sorry if this all sounds a bit vague.. grin not really my area. thankyou for any help with this.

Deb x

Deb123, Jan 6, 2015
  2. Deb123

Labarum

The speakers will be passive - that is to say they have no amplifier inside them and need to be connected to one by wire in order to work.

The short answer to you question is, no.

First you should ask if you need all the old sources - tape deck, cd player, radio, and record player, or whether you could invest in a modern streaming system - if you have a big collection of LPs and cassette tapes you love then you will want to keep them and the machines that play them, but if most of your music is on CD you can move that to more modern technology.

Having done that you can look at investing in wireless speakers, but you say nothing about budget or what quality of sound you need.

You could, for example, stream music wirelessly from your laptop to bluetooth speakers.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/best-bluetooth-speakers-to-buy-in-2014

or you could invest in Sonus

http://www.sonos.com/en-gb?r=1

But you need to tell us more.

Labarum, Jan 7, 2015
  3. Deb123

audiomanbw

I agree with Labarum-more info is needed, is tv newer flat-screen, do they wa it connected, is it primarily for music? -records, tapes, cd, etc. But it sounds to me like they would be happy with a quality sondbar & subwoofer, maybe a cpl. extra satelites, budget? Needs? They could also downsize to just 2 speakers connected at hifi system -so no visible wires if kept close to stereo unit.

audiomanbw, Mar 16, 2015
  4. Deb123

wallace Only slightly barmy

Larbarum is right,take it all down to the tip and invest in sonus...

wallace, Mar 16, 2015
  5. Deb123

Tenson Moderator

Perhaps a small amp that can receive wireless audio over bluetooth will be a good option? If your parents have a tablet or smart-phone they can send music from that. The amp can sit on-top of the speakers to keep it neat.

1)Bluetooth Amp

2)Vamp

Tenson, Mar 18, 2015
Ask a Question