Mogami or any hi-fi cable and stomp boxes

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by shmerls, Aug 2, 2008.

1. shmerls

shmerls

I've had Monsters over the years, and I'm new to Mogami. I just bought an 18' and using a Tom Anderson Classic T (Tele).

I'm testing and find a subtle but important difference between standard issue cables and Mogami. I hear the sonic range slightly, but more importantly, I feel more and play differently with the Mogamis. Especially when doing delicate chordings. Worth the price right there.

My tests have been direct to my amp (Budda 30), but I usually use a few stomp boxes and before I spend a fortune on more Mogamis to interconnect my boxes and then go to my amp, I was wondering... doesn't going through stompers defeat the purpose?

Also, I'm testing at room volume in my apartment and can't crank it. Anyone have comments on your experience in club level gig volume? And using stomp boxes?

I use: a Ernie Ball volume pedal, an OCD, Wah and sometimes H&K Rotosphere.

Thx,
    Steven

shmerls, Aug 2, 2008
  2. shmerls

zanash

mogami...is better than monster ....

but there are many better than mogami even van damme ....imo

18' is long for an ic ....all cables act as filters so over that distance your going to really hear any cable at its worst.

zanash, Aug 2, 2008
  3. shmerls

Graffoeman

Hi shmerls,

Round the back of your Budda you should find an Effects send/return serial loop. This loop sits between the pre-amp and power amp sections of the Budda and is where you should be connecting your effects. The cabling for this loop should simply be good quality, robustly constructed cable and I concur with Zanash on his choice of van damme - if it's good enough for the BBC......

With your guitar plugged straight into the front, the pre-amp will respond to your guitar, and your playing, as it was designed to do and the signal will retain all of those little nuances that an expensive guitar lead will deliver to it.:)

Once the pre has done its job it will have created a signal level better suited to driving stomp boxes and the like. You should also find that the boxes are a lot less noisy and a lot more responsive, as a result.

If it was me, I'd certainly play with the guitar/amp lead - this is carrying a tiny signal level and good leads can make a huge difference. It has to be said that the plugs, on either end of the lead, are as important as the wire that's connected to them and in my experience it is very hard to beat a properly assembled Neutrik. As for the effects loop - well made, well shielded and the same manufacturer if you can manage it.

This cabling set-up does mean you'll need 3 long cables, one for guitar and two for the effects loop, if you need your stomp boxes to be in front of you. but the sonic benefits will be more than worth it.:D

Graffoeman, Aug 2, 2008
  4. shmerls

joel Shaman of Signals

Mogami is exactly the same as... any other cable. Ergo, buy with confidence.

joel, Aug 2, 2008
Ask a Question