Monteverdi's 1610 Vespers and 2010

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by tones, Mar 26, 2009.

1. tones

tones compulsive cantater

It doesn't take a mathematical genius to work out that next year is A Big Anniversary of the publication of this extraordinary ground-breaking work. A poke around the web revealed lots of performances scheduled for 2010 by a variety of different ensembles. One US organisation is even throwing in a tour of Italy, culminating in a performance in San Marco, where it might first have been heard (nobody really knows).

Interestingly, the one which was instrumental (and vocal!) in starting it all, Gardiner's Monteverdi Choir (named for a 1960s' performance of the work), has nothing on the subject. So I prodded the Monteverdi Society, and was told that JEG and his merry (wo)men are planning a Vespers tour in late 2010, taking in venues in the UK and Italy.

But will there be a recording? Gardiner's famous 1988 (I think) live performance in San Marco remains to me the best version on record, but the DVD certainly shows its age, with relatively poor quality filming (compare it with the pin-sharp quality of the Christmas Oratorio 2000 recording in the Herderkirche). Now that Gardiner and the Monteverdis have cut their teeth on the live recordings of the Bach cantatas on SDG with brilliant success, the makings of a tremendous recording are all in place (assuming, of course, that you like your Monteverdi Gardiner-grand, as I do). Surprisingly, there appear to be no plans for a recording :(, but the Monteverdi lady said early days yet, so here's hoping...

tones, Mar 26, 2009
Ask a Question