More dynamic system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by snskeybyrne, Mar 21, 2014.

1. snskeybyrne

snskeybyrne

More dynamic system
    Hi my system is as follows: Michell Gorbe TT with Origin Live Illustrious arm and Benz Micro low cartridge with trichord dino mk2. digital is Musical Fidelity KW sacd. Pre is Cyrus 7 with Cyrus psu. Power is 4 Cyrus mono x bi amping Gershman Avant Ggarde florstanders these are a Canadian 3 way speaker. Iam fairly happy with the system but I think I need more punch and dynamics from my TT. Iam considering changing my cartridge buying secondhand say around £700 to £800. Iam wondering will this give me what Iam after or do I need to change my phono amp or both? I listen to most music but pop. I like a bit of rock but, mainly acoustic, jazz, classical, folk, occasionaly electronic. Any suggestions much appreciated.

MIke Byrne.

snskeybyrne, Mar 21, 2014
  2. snskeybyrne

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Mike,

I think I answered this over on the Wam.

RobHolt, Mar 22, 2014
  3. snskeybyrne

DSJR

I'll probably be flamed for this, but the OL arm could be replaced with something a little more inert, allowing the cartridge to sing more naturally. One of the better Rega arms could be a start (why take a proper design, then chop it up, adding significant resonances (i.e. making it far worse) and with iffy finish too and charge a fortune for it?), or possibly an NAS AceSpace if it can have a Rega-compatible base plate.

Just a thought above, but records will always have a bit more romance than a decent digital source. Well set up Decca cartridges close the gap though :lol:

DSJR, Mar 23, 2014
  4. snskeybyrne

Werner

Take the Gyro apart and remove, indeed, the Densodamp.

Then carefully level the TT's support, ensuring it is sturdy and stable, and remains so when loaded with the Gyro.

Rebuild Gyro, ensuring that each stage is perfectly level. Clean and lubricate bearing. Get a new belt, and install it in the correct direction (under magnification you'll see scales in the rubber surface, align so that the open parts point away from the motor pulley; if you can't see them, fine, not all belts have them).
    Ensure that the arm cable does not impede the subchassis bounce and that it is clamped to the chassis, not directly let down onto the support.
    Tighten the clamp only slightly, just enough to flatten the record.

You can consider a new cartridge, a Lyra Delos is excellent, but do keep in mind that Michell themselves are now using Benz ...

Werner, Apr 11, 2014
Ask a Question