multi format player to dac, or CD player?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by silverback, Jul 29, 2009.

1. silverback

silverback

I am upgrading my kit and at the same time trying to reduce the clutter. In my new room, my wife would like everything (telly things and HiFi) in one place, so I am wondering what thoughts anyone has on using a well engineered transport to play DVD's and CD's but outputting it to a DAC for film and CD sound (2 C only, but that's fine...we don't want a cinema system). I was thinking of around £5000 on CD alone, so what suggestions does anyone have on that budget for my do it all player and DAC. ONE important point. I'd like it to last, hence the well engineered comment.
    thanks.

silverback, Jul 29, 2009
  2. silverback

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Silverback I suppose a Universal disc player might do the trick, or equally an Apple laptop and dac, which would enable you to play cd's dvd's and high resolution music files and you could control everything with an ipod touch.

Purite Audio, Jul 29, 2009
  3. silverback

silverback

Hellp purite audio.
    We may be as technically advanced as to consider a computer, but my question is really about the quality issue. Can I reproduce the sound quality of a £5000 CD front end via a (say) £1000 universal player and a £4000 DAC? Your reply sounds hesitant?

silverback, Jul 29, 2009
  4. silverback

Purite Audio Purite Audio

SB well you would have to listen to your £5k cdp next to a mac and dac, but yes I am confident, you can equal if not better the sound of a standalone cdp. Keith.

Purite Audio, Jul 29, 2009
  5. silverback

Hamilton

The Mac + dac may well be the way to go, but I'm not sure I'd be spending £4k on a dac - I think you're seriously into diminishing returns territory there and I'd suggest listening to as wide a range as you can from around £1500 up to settle on the dac you like most if you go that way. There are plenty of threads on here with dac recommendations.

I'm not sure about universal players as transports - I got good results for a few years with a very cheap Pioneer (DV757 or 575 or something) into a Chord DAC64, then Monarchy M22C, but things did improve somewhat with a dedicated CD transport. Haven't tried a universal player in the £1000 plus area - might well be better.

On the other hand with that kind of money available, and if you really want to cut down on the clutter, you might find a universal player player that does it for you without a dac - in your place I'd be wanting to have a good listen to someting like an Esoteric DV60 for example. Haven't heard one myself but someone whose ears I trust used to rave about the earlier DV50.

Hamilton, Jul 29, 2009
Ask a Question