Multimeter help

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Donut, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Donut

Donut

I have been given a cheapy multimeter but I don't have a clue how to use it. Are there any sites on the web which have an introduction to this sort of thing. One thing I want to do is test a set of homemade TNT speaker cables.
    Cheers
    Donut

Donut, Jun 17, 2004
  2. Donut

Sid and Coke

25 Volts DC and 30 Volts AC (RMS) are considered to be LETHAL voltages- be careful !

To test your speaker wires;
    plug the DMM red lead into the red socket, the black into the black. Set your DMM dial to the Ohmic range . If you now put the red and black probe together you should get a reading of very close to zero ohms. this shows low resistance and continuity of the conductors. Now seperate them and note what the meter indicates , you should get an OS, No reading or a dot '.' this indicates an open circuit remember what this looks like for future checks. Always do this test before you check for resistance or continuity to confirm your meter is working properly. Never assume -check !

The Ohmic range is the only one you need to use for checking your new speaker wires. Basically you need to test one side of speaker wires first ( lets do the RH) .
    1) Firmly attach the Black DMM probe to the Amp end red wire, a crocodile clamp is ideal for this.
    2) With the DMM set to the Ohmic range now probe the speaker end of the red cable. You should get a low reading ( ideally zero) , Note if the reading is blank or OS or just a Dot '.' then this means there is an open circuit, briefly put the red probe to the black one to confirm the meter is still reading correctly.
    3) with the Black probe still firmly attached now probe the two black speaker connections of your cables. This will show you if you have any short circuits or cross connections. You should have OS, No Reading or a dot '.' to indicate this.
    4) If your meter shows that you have low resistance and good continuity between both of your cables RED connectors, with no redaings when you probe the black connectors then this side of your cable is OK. Now you need to repeat the check on the Black connectors and then assumming all is well repeat the test on the LH speaker cazble.

The actual test is much easier to do than to explain, sorry about that and hope this helps.

S&C

Sid and Coke, Jun 17, 2004
  3. Donut

Donut

Cheers S&C - I knew I could rely on you - I'll have a go.
    Donut

Donut, Jun 17, 2004
  4. Donut

Donut

Well, I did as you said and it was simple:) My TNT cables have been trippinmg out other peoples amps so I thought there might be problem but.....0 resistance and not cross connections!
    Any ideas on what could be causing this. They are OK with my amp.
    Donut

Donut, Jun 21, 2004
  5. Donut

Lt Cdr Data om

corr bloody hell, I must have had about 4 or 5 250 volt ac shocks by now, ouch, it does jolt a bit.

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 21, 2004
Ask a Question