Musical Fidelity Up-grades

Discussion in 'Trade Adverts and Discussion' started by nando, Nov 3, 2008.

1. nando

nando nando

Fyi, If Anyone Want's Their M.ff. Equipment Upgraded ,it Can Be Done Via Me And Musical Fidelity Direct, For Enquries Pm Me,
    Nando.

nando, Nov 3, 2008
  2. nando

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Lol, sorry, it reads like "if anyone wants their muff equipment upgraded"...

Moving into the adult toys industry Nando?! Can you get me a 12" black ribbed rampant rabbit with heated ears and vairable speed settings?

Cheers,
    DT

Dynamic Turtle, Nov 6, 2008
  3. nando

SMEagol Because we wants it...

I've heard the key to improvement is the power supplies...

kinda figures :p :D

SMEagol, Nov 6, 2008
  4. nando

lbr monkey boy

They need to be thoroughly warmed up to give of their best and can be very fussy about the size of termination they accept.

They also loosen up considerably with use. Some people have reported a significant gain in tightness, particularly in the bottom-end, through a slight re-evaluation of approach but that's not something I've ever managed to achieve.

lbr, Nov 6, 2008
  5. nando

nando nando

NO PROBLEM, 78 speed as well ? don't know about the ears but see what i can do.
    cheers , nando

nando, Nov 7, 2008
  6. nando

nando nando

hi sme, caps and resitors also are as important , but you are right the psu is the heart of any unit,
    regards, nando

nando, Nov 7, 2008
  7. nando

nando nando

i have tried the upgrades on various items, i am personally not satisfied, my opinion f.a.i.w. prefer the originals;
    nando.

nando, Dec 5, 2008
  8. nando

Griffy

So your saying don't PM you, stick with the original units???

Griffy, Dec 5, 2008
  9. nando

nando nando

in my opinion, YES, stick to the originals mess around with cables and a nice bottle of rioja,
    nando

nando, Dec 6, 2008
  10. nando

Griffy

Ok cool, was considering getting my X-Can V8 upgraded!

Griffy, Dec 6, 2008
  11. nando

nando nando

x-can v8

the most important thing as a absolute difference in upgrading the whole sound is the seperate psu unit, as i tried it with my now ageing but wonderfull sen's hd600's,
    nando

nando, Dec 6, 2008
  12. nando

the-chauffeur

Hey folks

I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I thought I'd resurrect it 'cos I'm looking for some answers in relation to MF upgrades . . .

I've had a pair of X-A200's in my (predominantly MF) system for the last eight years or so, and always thought they sounded pretty good for what they were. A couple of months ago while trawling the web for nothing in particular, I stumbled across the details of John Sampson (JS Audio). At almost exactly the same time, I noticed that MF themselves had started offering an upgrade service of their own . . . which got me thinking about my options.

On the recommendation of several others, I spoke to John on the phone, and ended up taking my Nu-Vista pre-amp to him to work on. A few weeks later it came back tweaked, cleaned up and with a completely new power supply - apparently it's by far the weakest point of the NV Pre (looks to be consistent with the comments above). And I'm very pleased to say that it sounds a whole lot better for it.

Whilst at his workshop, he showed me the internals of the X-A200's and said that he could upgrade them by adding in some bits that MF left out. Apparently the 200's were based on a similar design (albeit mono) to the A1000 amp, but to save a few quid, MF cut down on the number of components they used. You can probably see what I'm talking about from this picture:

[​IMG]

John didn't give me a list of exactly what his upgrade work entailed, but it definitely included adding in 'missing' components (four of the MAG2013 9802's per amp). For their part, MF list the mods they make as part of their fine-tuning service here. Both charge pretty much the same for the work.

But having read though some of the posts on this site (and being good friends with a elec-tech) I was wondering if you could help me out with a few questions . . .

. . . firstly, anyone got any experience of getting the back off these things? Dumb, I know, but I can't get 'em to shift (and I don't wanna bugger anything up). The front was easy enough, but I'm pretty sure the circuit boards are attached to the back plate - and really doesn't want to leave.

Secondly, any suggestions for where to find a schematic?

And thirdly, any thoughts on the value of the MF upgrade work - or whether the addition of the extra bits will make all that much difference? I know it's a stab in the dark, but I thought it was worth a shot (apologies for the mixed metaphors).

Thanks in advance - all help/guidance/ideas gratefully received.

Neil

the-chauffeur, May 17, 2009
Ask a Question