Mystery Monarch Loudspeakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PC323, Feb 19, 2018.

1. PC323

PC323

Hi hope someone can help?
    I recently got hold of a pair of Monarch loudspeakers but can find no information about these.
    Searching the web for the model number LSP120P/SW on brings up another pair on audiozavar.com, but again no further info.
    I'm running these with Quad pre /power amp combo and they sound great.
    They have twin drive units in a Pyramid cabinets and came with custom design stands.
    Drive units are Monacore, and the Crossover is a Sonace IV ?
    I'm guessing are from the 80's era ?
    I'd love to know if anyone can shed any light on these (good or bad).
    For scale & reference the other speakers are my Dynaudio DM2/7

Thanks in advance

Monarch1.JPG
    Monarch2.JPG
    Monarch3.JPG
    Monarch4.JPG

PC323, Feb 19, 2018
  2. PC323

Jeff Lee

Wouldn't be surprised if these are of German manufacture since the phrase "BEST NR" is the abbreviation for "Bestellnummer" meaning Order Number. This isn't the type or serial number but could refer to a batch maybe. I also can't find any manufacturer info.

Monarch sounds like one of those words chosen for a brand/item because it is common to numerous languages and has that ring of royalty/quality about it! 1970s or 80s I would guess. If you're happy with the sound, that's fine. I would tend not to push them too hard though.

Jeff Lee, Feb 20, 2018
  3. PC323

PC323

Hi Jeff

Many thanks the response, and update.
    You've confirmed my initial thoughts and intrigued that I may have chanced on great pair of speakers for a very modest outlay. I'm going to keep digging, starting with the German DPMA to see if I can track down any other info on the trademark.

Cheers

PC323, Feb 21, 2018
    Jeff Lee likes this.
  4. PC323

Jeff Lee

No problem. Monacor (no "e") is a German company based in Bremen. It has its own website at https://www.hifisound.de/en/By-Manufacturer/Monacor/9/ It seems to manufacture/sell all kinds of gear including PA kits and speaker units, so maybe Monarch is their name for their assembled speaker line. Best of luck! The Dynaudio units are very well regarded, so if the Monarch sound is comparable you might have done well.

Jeff Lee, Feb 22, 2018
  5. PC323

Roxbrough

The stands are actually Target.

Roxbrough, Mar 4, 2018
Ask a Question