Nearly there, just i more question...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by T-bone Sanchez, May 19, 2005.

1. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Okay, so Ive now finished the basics of my final phono stage after making the protos. Ive got a TD160 sorted (thanks steve), this will undergo surgery in the near future. Ive got an SME3009 II lined up on loan until I decide what to use long-term, I know what I need to set the cartridge and arm up so.........next is a cartridge. Must be MM, decent across a wide range of music and be good value. I dont want to go nuts on this yet as I dont know the final set-up I want, so a good intro cart really that'll do justice to vinyl. Recommendations?

T-bone Sanchez, May 19, 2005
  2. T-bone Sanchez

Markus S Trade

Goldring 1012 if you want to be economical, Denon DL 110 (a high-output MC) if you're willing to spend a bit more.

Markus S, May 19, 2005
  3. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Will the high-output denons be okay with an MM phono?

T-bone Sanchez, May 19, 2005
  4. T-bone Sanchez

Markus S Trade

Yep, they are intended to work into MM stages.

Markus S, May 19, 2005
  5. T-bone Sanchez

Anex Thermionic

Don't know your reasoning for MM only, but you do know you can use MC step up transformers to use MC with a MM phono stage don't you? If its a cost thing then obviously it might be too expensive with the trans but just checking :)

Anex, May 19, 2005
  6. T-bone Sanchez

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

The recommendation is very simple. Unless you have silly money to spend, you MUST get a Denon DL-103 or the 103R. It is very easy to build an MC Headamp or get affordable stepup transformers. I would avoid MM's by an large,as they are subject to too many inherent limitations of technology.

Avoid also most modern MC's, as they are build and designed to deliver optimal perfomance under unrealistic "ideal" conditions and are often abysimal in the real word, for significant numbers of LP's unless you re-adjust things regulary.

Ciao T

3DSonics, May 19, 2005
Ask a Question